One Time M*A*S*H Guest Star Patrick Swayze Dies

His breakthrough role came in 1987 when he starred in Dirty Dancing but on April 6th, 1981 Patrick Swayze guest-starred on M*A*S*H (in “Blood Brothers“) as Pvt. Gary Sturgis, a terminally-ill soldier more worried about his wounded buddy than himself. Swayze passed away today at the age of 57 after battling pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed in March of 2008 but continued working, starring in A&E’s The Beast. The series wrapped its first and only season in April of 2009.

Patrick Swayze in Blood Brothers
Patrick Swayze in “Blood Brothers”

My favorite Swayze performance is the 1985 ABC miniseries “North and South,” based on the John Jakes novel. Swayze reprised his role in “North and South, Book II” but I haven’t had a chance to see that one. He also starred in Ghost in 1990 and appeared in The Outsiders in 1983.

• Eric Ebacher says:

Another role that Swayze is best remembered for is in the movie “Ghost” alongside Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg; his character Sam Wheat is shot and killed while trying to defend his fiancée Molly Jensen (Moore) from being shot. Through the help of a medium (Goldberg), Wheat continues to protect both Jensen and the medium while trying to sick out the guy responsible for his (Wheat’s) murder. In the end, Sam goes to heaven and leaves Molly behind.

• Cherie Lyon says:

I remember well. I memorized Unchained Melody because I could. He was very well suited the role in Ghost. God rest him.

• Diane says:

I love anything that he was in. Such a great actor and such a great loss. Let’s not forget movies such as Roadhouse and Next of Kin. Gone to soon. So sad…….

• Lee says:

Why is it such a great loss he was a chain smoker and an alcoholic go figure ? A great loss is when a child has cancer and dies that is a great loss figure it out as shole

• Bob says:

Obviously you won’t be any kind of loss, but probably welcomed speaking of others the way you are.

• Mark says:

Im actually watching mash now and patrick swazey is in it and my first movie at the movies was dirty dancing with my first girlfriend in 1987 my god

• jeri says:

And he was amazing in the city of joy just as he was in all his films.

• Eartha Holton says:

Lee, just because he drank and smoked you feel that he was not a loss? All those folk who have died from heroin use are not losses…to somebody? Let people have compassion show compassion be compassionate. He didn’t look drunk in his movies to me. He was a professional and good at his job. I liked his movies and to many he is a loss.

• Bill says:

Smoking isn’t what killed him, it was a great loss you moron.you are an asshole.