MeTV Airing New HD Widescreen Episodes

Digital specialty network MeTV, which airs M*A*S*H Sunday through Friday from 7-8PM ET, is now airing the new high definition, widescreen transfers of the series that debuted on Hulu last year. These episodes are also available as digital downloads from iTunes, YouTube, and Google Play. They have not been released on Blu-ray.

I don’t get MeTV in my area, so I haven’t been able to see what how the episodes look. Other diginets like Antenna TV and Cozi TV are not available in high definition through my cable provider. Also, aspect ratios for diginets aren’t always correct. Most TV stations affiliated with MeTV broadcast the network in standard definition.

Do you get MeTV? If so, how does M*A*S*H look?

(Thanks to Bob.)

I have Me-TV at home. It’s one of the about…7 stations we get through the antenna since I refuse to pay for cable. I’ll check it out next time I remember and report back.

I have MeTV, but it’s certainly not high definition broadcast – if anything, its broadcast looks like old-fashioned analog.

That being said, I hate it when old shows and movies are cropped in widescreen because widescreen is somehow “cool” or something, so I won’t watch M*A*S*H on MeTV; I’ll stick with my DVDs.

Okay, so I glanced out of curiosity, and wow, MeTV must have really improved their signal or frequency in recent years, because their broadcast really doesn’t look like old-fashioned analog anymore.

That being said, in addition to being cropped in widescreen, it looks like the projection has been up-converted to 60fps instead of the tradition 24fps, because the playback of really, really fluid.

• dhla says:

MASH was shot on 35mm film, which is a higher resolution than HD. So MASH doesn’t need to be “converted” into HD… it can be natively transferred from the film into HD. Which is what I think they did. I’ve watched multiple episodes on iTunes – they are using much more of the image than before and it is much, much clearer than before. There is a little loss of the intimacy on a close-up, because more of the image exists, but I think that’s an acceptable trade-off for the crispness of the image. Also, for iTunes the transfers are the original network versions, not the syndication versions, so it is the whole episode.

• Captain Tuttle says:

I watched the new widescreen transfers of MASH on MeTV. They look brighter, sharper and cleaner. However when they were transferred the frame rate was changed. They now have a ‘Soap Opera’ effect which makes them look like they were shot on video. I really like the new clean look but the ‘Soap Opera’ effect is distracting and they don’t look like film.

• dhla says:

I can tell you for a fact that the fps was not changed. You are seeing a fresh transfer from 35mm film to HD. The only thing changed was the aspect ratio, to 16:9, and that started with 35mm, so this is not stretched video. It may look brighter because this is a transfer from the original film elements. But the frame rate is still 30 fps.

• Daniel says:

Watching the Winchester tapes on the new format….

I personally like the original MUCH better. It somehow added to the show IMO. I don’t know if I can explain it….it looks like a sitcom shot in front of a live audience almost…slight soap opera effect. The SOE is caused by single lighting placement, so changing the colors is what’s causing that effect I guess.

• Daniel says:

I just noticed something else, they are full episodes and not TV edits!! In last laugh, the tv cut leaves out Klingers bit with the invisible camel, but these “new” films have it!