David Ogden Stiers Passed away

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Keith1980
Private

David Ogden Stiers Passed away

Post by Keith1980 »

Good bye Charles. RIP

He was 75

David died this morning March 3, 2018 peacefully at his home in Newport, Oregon after a courageous battle with bladder cancer. His talent was only surpassed by his heart.
RJ
General of the Army

Re: David Ogden Stiers Passed away

Post by RJ »

Very sad news, indeed. I've written a tribute to Stiers at my blog: https://www.mash4077tv.com/2018/03/davi ... 1942-2018/
Captain Tuttle
Corporal

Post by Captain Tuttle »

This is sad news. David did a great job playing Charles! He will be missed.
kkt
Sergeant

Post by kkt »

I watched "Fade out, fade in" tonight in his honor. He was a great actor, creating a character annoying enough to be a good foil and source of conflict, yet also sympathetic.
lamorte12
Private

Post by lamorte12 »

RIP David and thank you for many wonderful laughs over the years. You will be missed
Arvidd
Private

Post by Arvidd »

By the time the eminent Dr. Winchester arrived on the scene, Maj. Burns was becoming just a little tiresome even though Larry Linville played him about as well as anyone could have done. David Ogden Stiers rendered brilliant performances and certainly deserved the two Emmy nominations he received, although it is too bad that at least one of them didn't come through.

Perhaps my favorite of many wonderful Winchester performances was in a Season 9 episode, "No Laughing Matter," where despite his overwhelming desire to get out of the pits of the 4077th and back to Tokyo, Winchester stood up to the nemesis who consigned him there in the first place, Colonel Baldwin, who made a grab at Margaret in his tent and then let Winchester know that for saying that Margaret had tried to seduce him, Winchester would be back in Tokyo. Charles showed his quality, as they used to say in the old days, coming through to support Margaret by telling the truth even though it meant a continuation in purgatory.

Kudos, smiles, and a bowed head toward Mr. Stiers, who, in his new environment, perhaps is enjoying some conducting of a symphony orchestra of such talent as to greatly surpass the Newport (Oregon) Symphony, where he was associate conductor.
Keith1980
Private

Post by Keith1980 »

Sons and bowlers has to be my favorit mash episode of all. Because you get to see winchester and hawkeye actualy treat each other with a respect u dont see anywhere else. Im suprised that level wasnt touched on in the GFA.