4077th Camp Model

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
irocer
Private

4077th Camp Model

Post by irocer »

Hello, I am new your group. I am a MASH fan and model builder. I joined this group to hopefully find info on the MASH sets (sizes, details) so I can create a model in 1/35th scale. To this point I have found may images across the web but little info on exact sizes of things. I did find the Swamp was 16' square and that will help with all the other things to come.

I hope to create as accurate as possible model of the 4077th, so any help or info anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

The very first item being built is a 1/35 old 2 1/2 cargo truck- will likely be set in the motor pool area, next I will attempt a scratch built Swamp and try to prefect the making of the tents.

Thanks!
RJ
General of the Army

Re: 4077th Camp Model

Post by RJ »

Unfortunately, I don't have any information to offer about the size of any of the buildings seen on M*A*S*H

I can tell you that Revell released three 1/35th scale M*A*S*H model kits in (I think) the mid-1990s. You may know about them already. Here are some images from various eBay auctions:

revell_swamp.jpg
revell_medical.jpg
revell_chopper.jpg

Even if you want to build your own model of the 4077th, maybe these can help with the scale of things if you can buy them cheap enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Captain Tuttle
Corporal

Post by Captain Tuttle »

The Revell 1/35 MASH helicopter is not an accurate kit. The kit is of a newer style helicopter which wasn't around during the Korean war.

MRC made a 1/35 MASH Helicopter that is accurate to what was used in the Korean war. It's not an officially licensed M*A*S*H model but it's an accurate MASH helicopter in the same 1/35 scale as the other Revell M*A*S*H model kits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

I have that MRC model kit. Someone gave it to me years and years ago, knowing I'm a M*A*S*H fan. I opened the box but I'm not a model maker, so that's as far as I got.
Captain Tuttle
Corporal

Post by Captain Tuttle »

RJ, The MRC kit is an accurate Korean MASH helicopter. I almost bought the Revell M*A*S*H Helicopter but did some research and found that it is a newer style.

I picked up a Revell M*A*S*H Swamp Scene kit which I think I'll scratch build the swamp and use the door and top of the tent from the kit.

The M38A1 Jeep was seen in only 2 episodes, Welcome To Korea and Change Of Command. It was the General's Jeep that Hawkeye, Radar and BJ stole. Potter is seen driving the same Jeep into Camp at the end of the episode and in Change Of Command.

Welcome To Korea is one of my favorite episodes so I always wanted to build that Jeep. Most of the Jeeps seen were the older WWII Jeeps.

The Ambulance Dodge WC-54 is seen in the opening credits and a lot of episodes.

I'm not planning on building the whole camp but some of it.
GoranWC51
Private

Post by GoranWC51 »

The vehicles use during the Korean War were to 99% of WW2 vintage, taken from the hugee stocks of surplus vehicles found in Japan, Okinawa, etc.

The Willys MB / Ford GPW Jeeps are made by tons of manufacturers, pick up the one that suits your wallet. I especially like the ones offered by BRONCO, the build quality is very good.

The M*A*S*H tents are easiest to either scratch build, if that's your thing, or buy the one's offered by Revell in 1994.I have collected six of these models now, and that should last me to finish my diorama, which will be similar to yours.

Best of luck, if you contact me on email I'll share some of the useful photos of camp layout, details etc that I've managed to gather:
goran_noren (at) yahoo ( dot) com

brocnogb35105reviewlp_1.jpg
GMC-Tamiya.jpg
GMC-Heller.jpg