(03x07) 055 - Check-Up

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
38%
Above average
50%
Average
13%
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 8

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(03x07) 055 - Check-Up

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

This is probably the only other time on the show where Trapper really had a chance to shine.

And actually, if you ask me, I know everybody complains that Hawkeye and Trapper never got a proper goodbye when Trapper went home, but when you think about it, they did... it just didn't happen when Trapper went home, it happened here instead. In fact, Alan Alda and Wayne Rogers's chemistry with each other was at its best in this episode, we see the two of them shedding actual tears when Hawkeye thanks Trapper for his friendship and making life at the 4077th bearable.

This episode also reminds us what a funny drunk Henry is.

Really enjoyable episode.
Crabapple Cove
Private

Re: (03x07) 055 - Check-Up

Post by Crabapple Cove »

LOVE this episode. I re-watched it today in honor of Wayne Rogers 82nd birthday (Happy Birthday Trapper!). I love the 'goodbye' scene between Hawkeye and Trapper since they never got a formal goodbye when Trapper departed.
Frank's Girl
Private

Post by Frank's Girl »

Just watching this tonight and was wondering if, since Wayne's contract was running at the end of the season, they didn't hold this until the last episode and change it so that he did go home... Either talks hadn't gone sideways for Wayne and the studio at that time or they never thought that Wayne would leave a hit show.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Wayne didn't have a contract, he never signed it. There was a moral clause in the contract that said if could be fired if he did anything the producers or studios found morally reprehensible, to which he refused to sign unless there was an equal clause saying that he could fire them if they did anything he found morally reprehensible. When he announced he was leaving the show, Larry Gelbart and Gene Reynolds sued him over the matter of his contract, to which he countersued them over the same matter; when the judge saw that there was no contract, the case was immediately dismissed.

But it's like I said before, this really is something like a proper farewell episode for Trapper, even though he didn't get to go home for his ulcer, so to have another big farewell bash for Trap when he really did go home would have been unnecessary.

I don't think any of them knew beforehand that Wayne was going to leave, but he did continually express his displeasure with how Trapper was reduced to a mere sidekick and that he felt it wasn't worth his time to come in and film maybe one or two small scenes a week when he could be doing something else with his time, and kept asking them that if they don't really need him, don't write for him that week.
BeccaLeo1972
Private

Post by BeccaLeo1972 »

Trapper and Hawkeye got their goodbye in this episode and both actors shined in it. Hawk should have considered it the goodbye he needed instead of going on about not getting one when Trapper actually went home for real. Wayne got the chance to present his great acting skills in this episode handling the comedy and drama with ease. Check-up is one of my favorites from Season 3.
Mr Kwong
Corporal

Post by Mr Kwong »

Some very funny moments in this episode, as well as a great performance by Wayne Rogers, who as we learned in "Kim", is probably the best actor in the series. What doesn't sit well with me is The doctors NOT knowing that you don't get sent home with an ulcer. wouldn't they know as well as anyone the criteria for a medical discharge?