Occasional Medical Mistakes

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Occasional Medical Mistakes

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

RJ's spotlight on "Chief Surgeon Who?" (1x04) today got me to think about a medical mistake that was made in the episode: during the tag, Frank asks Hawkeye for assistance on a patient he's working on, Hawkeye moves from his patient and over to Frank's, and even sticks his hands into the patient WITHOUT changing his bloody gloves. Now, how dangerous is that for the patient?

Not only that, but there's a few occasional medical mistakes throughout the series, here and there, I thought maybe we could have a discussion thread to point these out.

Like another one that's crossed my mind: in "To Market, To Market" (1x02), the episode opens with Hawkeye and Trapper working on a General, and neither of them are wearing their masks... why, I don't know.
Chuck
Sergeant

Re: Occasional Medical Mistakes

Post by Chuck »

I've noticed the glove thing too. I'm no doctor, but that seems dangerous. My wife even takes notice of it. "Did you see that? He went to work on that other guy without changing his gloves." I do keep in mind that it's meatball surgery. I'm sure it's not the worst done in the name of war. I read about stuff they did in the Civil War and it's ccccrrrraaaazzzzyyyyy.