(08x21) 194 - Goodbye, Cruel World

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
No votes
Average
100%
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 1

RJ
General of the Army

(08x21) 194 - Goodbye, Cruel World

Post by RJ »

Use this thread to discuss 08x21: Goodbye, Cruel World.
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (08x21) 194 - Goodbye, Cruel World

Post by Ferret Face »

I kind of feel like this might have fit a bit better if it was one or two episodes after "Period of Adjustment," since Klinger is trying to settle into the reception room by making it into more of a home.

That being said, I thought the episode was pretty good overall, but both stories could have used some improvement. As bad as the decorations were (especially the cheese, lol), I do think everyone joking about it was a bit too over-the-top and hurtful, which may not have been out-of-character for Charles, and maybe even Margaret, but was a bit for Hawkeye and BJ. Also, I think the story could have been trimmed a bit, but there were some really good moments, like Klinger trying to forge Potter's signature, his two scenes with BJ (first when BJ tries to talk him out of it, and then when Klinger asks BJ for help), Potter agreeing to let him put up one item and give him a three day pass, and Klinger impersonating Radar were all very nice moments.

As for the story with the Korean-American soldier, I thought it was decent, but probably should have been kept as the main story of an episode, so it could be fleshed out more. As it was, the only really strong parts were the suicide attempt and, most notably, Sidney's explanation to Hawkeye after treating him. I also liked the scene at the end, where Sidney says the soldier will have to continue getting treatment, and Hawkeye's line about the surgeons' job being easier than Sidney's, because its easier to find where the wound is.