(11x15) 255 - As Time Goes By

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

How do you rate "As Time goes By"

Best of the Best
No votes
Above Average
100%
Average
No votes
Below Average
No votes
Worst of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 1

Moe_Hawk
Corporal

(11x15) 255 - As Time Goes By

Post by Moe_Hawk »

The final standalone episode before the big finale is a funny old episode... it's one that somehow manages to pay the current main cast members a tribute, honour some of those before them, change up the usual episode structure, and be both funny and touching at the same time.

This is one of the rare MASH episodes that steps away from the 2 storyline line format by giving us a third that takes active steps towards plotting a future for both the finale and what comes next.

The main story focuses on Margaret and Hawkeye collecting items for a time capsule the intend to bury, a bit of a tit for tat war of pranks between BJ, Winchester and Rizzo, and finally both Klinger and Father Mulcahy's assistance of a young Korean lady that is wrongly accused of being a North Korean soldier and helping her find her family.

The main storyline of this episode (the time capsule), is built up very slowly and whilst the final scene where they bury the items is very touching, watching Margaret go around trying to collect items even with Hawkeye's attempts to get 'licks for us malcontents' really isn't that interesting and allows for the other 2 storylines to take focus... the saga with Klinger, Soon-Lee and the fan-belt is much more captivating and really steals the show here.
Ultimately I guess this is a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul as the time capsule storyline didn't really have enough time put into it to highlight it's significance and importance up until the very end. And it was a bit of a strange decision to have Margaret cheerlead this thing only to focus on so many shallow and unmeaning items... another example of her somewhat erratic character who is so compassionate, sensitive and full of integrity depth at times and shallow, superficial and emotional at others.

The decision to add in the final few items (fan belt, Radar's bear, Henry's fishhook) was a really nice way to tie up this and take the opportunity to reflect on those of seasons past. A nice shout out to both Henry and Radar. It is very peculiar to note however that given the show goes to the extra lengths to have a shoutout to Frank Burns, why we don't get a mention of Trapper - don't know what they were going for here but it really leaves an unnecessary bad taste in the mouth.

I'm not going to say too much about comedy plot between BJ, Winchester and Rizzo other then to say I thought it sooooooo funny. The grenade in the shower bit, and Rizzo genuinely thinking Charles threw himself on the grenade are classic. Mike Farrel and David Ogden Stiers have such a great chemistry together and it's such a shame to see that it took until the late seasons for MASH to really appreciate the value of having a good supporting cast. Another excellent performance from Rizzo who is priceless all the way throughout.

The final storyline I did very much enjoy. It's classic Klinger wheeling and dealing, demonstrating his compassion and caring, and as usual he nails his comedic highpoint. It's also good to see that Mulch, as has been the theme of his season, continue with trying to help the Korean locals in anyway he can as the war is coming to an end. It started with a focus on the orphans and continued into helping families find each other.
For a character that has lacked direction for so much of his time on MASH, it seems as though they figure him out just a tad too late.

All that's left to say is that IMHO, I think that this is another above average episode that rounds out a very above average season and IMO demonstrates that the show could perhaps have gone on for another few seasons.
I know that at this point, Alda and Swit certainly had itchy feet to do other things whilst Morgan, Farr and Christopher wanted to stay. I think much like season 3, there was an opportunity here to really shake things up and take the show in a whole new direction that could have seen it do something even more remarkable than what it is now... not that I'm complaining. Especially if you could have had one or both or Farrell or Stiers stay on to ease that transition. But would MASH have worked without Hawkeye? It's hard to see it happening but I guess we'll never know.