(01x18) 018 - Dear Dad, Again

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
100%
Average
No votes
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 1

RJ
General of the Army

(01x18) 018 - Dear Dad, Again

Post by RJ »

Use this thread to discuss episode 01x18, Dear Dad, Again.
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (01x18) 018 - Dear Dad, Again

Post by Ferret Face »

While not quite as great as the first "Dear Dad," I still really like this one a lot. This one's a little less random than the first one, using the "Dr." Casey story as the main part of the episode, but it still had a few really good random moments as well. My favorite was Hawkeye's naked walk to the mess tent (though his shorts are very noticeable while he's waiting in line). The scene with Radar's attempt to get a high school diploma was also really good, and it's a good example of Henry acting like a kind of father to him. This was also the first episode to show a real argument between Frank and Margaret (which would become more frequent as the seasons went on), leading to the great drunk Frank scene. I love it when an episode shows a different side to Frank. And then of course there's the "no talent night" at the end. I loved Margaret's showboating, while Hawkeye meekly tries to interject with his singing whenever he could.

As for the Casey story, I think it's ok. The "Dear" episodes kind of evolved over the series, and the bigger storylines are welcome additions to other episodes like "Dear Sis" and "Dear Sigmund," but in terms of these early "Dear Dad" episode, I kind of feel like the random vignettes are the best aspect of them. They give the show a chance to have random humor, and utilize the different characters in great ways. Though I will say that I've grown to like this story more over the years. He is an interesting character, and I liked the reactions of Mulcahy and Hawkeye when they find out the truth.