(01x17) 017 - Sometimes You Hear The Bullet

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
33%
Above average
67%
Average
No votes
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 3

RJ
General of the Army

(01x17) 017 - Sometimes You Hear The Bullet

Post by RJ »

Use this thread to discuss episode 01x17, Sometimes You Hear The Bullet.
Mr Kwong
Corporal

Re: (01x17) 017 - Sometimes You Hear The Bullet

Post by Mr Kwong »

Considered by many to be the first "great" M*A*S*H episode, what stands out to me is that is I occasionally have to remind myself that this is from the first season. The script, the acting, ad the balance between comedy & drama make it seem like it's from season 3. bonus points for Ron Howard's portrayal of Wendel, and Henry's scene with Hawkeye after his best friend dies on the table
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (01x17) 017 - Sometimes You Hear The Bullet

Post by Ferret Face »

A great game-changing episode, definitely deserving the praise it gets IMO.

I really like both of the main plots of the episode. Of course the story with Hawkeye's friend is the most notable part of the episode, as he's introduced to us and brought back into Hawkeye's life, only for him to be killed off shortly after. Of course the show had already thrown it bits of drama here and there, such as the O.R. scenes, and Hawkeye's message at the end of his movie in "Yankee Doodle Doctor," but this took things to a whole different level, as someone died for the first time on the show, and Hawkeye had to deal with the loss of his friend. And of course, I have to mention the great scene with Henry, which is one of the more memorable moments on the show, and his strongest as a commander.

And I love how that affected the other main story with Wendell/Walter. At first Hawkeye humored him, which I thought was interesting. He was an innocent kid, and whether he agreed with his reasons or not, he didn't think it was any of his business what he was doing to impress the girl he liked back home. But when he was confronted with the reality of war, he thought it was better to save his life, even if it meant betraying his trust.

As for the other stories, they did serve as decent comic relief. The story with the fighting soldiers was mostly forgettable, but it was worth it just for Hawkeye telling Radar to beat them with their own salamis if they acted up again. And of course the Frank/Margaret scenes were great.