Season 4 General Discussion

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Season 4 General Discussion

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

When I first started watching Season Four, it took a while for me to get used to the changes: after being shocked by the sudden and unexpected death of Henry Blake, and now all of the sudden Trapper was sent home as well, I was not jumping for joy over the arrival of B.J., nor Potter.

Trapper and Henry had been funny characters, and since this was a comedy series, B.J. and Potter seemed almost out of place, especially Potter moreso, considering he was so by-the-book and seemed rather unfunny.

After a while, I grew to appreciate this season, because this was really when the show began to hit it's stride when it came to the dramatic undertones of the series, and we started seeing a little more of the horrors of war, as opposed to strictly just hijinx at the front (ala Hogan's Heroes). Also, B.J. and Potter eventually grew on me as well, since they were arguably more well-rounded characters: both characters could let their hair down, and get involved with the hilarity that went around camp, while still maintaining their own dignity; B.J. was a very devoted family man, and Potter genuinely deserved the respect he got.

Also, there's something about the season as well... I can't quite explain it, but it has a somewhat "simple", "homey" feel to it... probably something to do with the increase in stories by Jim Fritzell & Everett Greenbaum, who had written on Andy Griffith.
Mdio1000
Private

Re: Season 4 General Discussion

Post by Mdio1000 »

On Welcome to Korea part 2 , I often wondered why Hawkeye said ,'Oh no Indy' when the locals ran into the forest knowing snipers where near by ?