(08x05) 178 - Good-bye, Radar, Part 2

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
43%
Average
29%
Below average
14%
Worst of the worst
14%

Total votes: 7

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(08x05) 178 - Good-bye, Radar, Part 2

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Believe it or not, this was the very first episode I ever saw of M*A*S*H, nearly a year before I ever sat down and actually watched the show and became a M*A*S*Her - I was channel surfing one evening, saw this, and for some reason, mistook Alan Alda for Dick Sargent, and wanted to see him in a role other than "The Other Darrin".

Other than that, Radar just wasn't himself in this episode, I don't mean just how irritable and angry he was throughout the episode, but also, his dialogue just seemed odd and out of character for him... "This isn't a Sunday social ya kno-ow!" Wut?
chriswb504
Corporal

Re: (08x05) 178 - Good-bye, Radar, Part 2

Post by chriswb504 »

That was when Klinger stopped trying to get a Section 8. :mrgreen:

Emma
Private

Post by Emma »

I think "Goodbye, Radar" is one of the best episodes, even though my favorite character is leaving the show. :cry: My favorite part of this episode is when Hawk finds Radar's teddy bear. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

In August 2015, visitors to MASH4077TV.com voted "Good-bye, Radar, Part 2" their favorite episode from Season 8. Do you agree or disagree?

See the full results here.
Father Angus
Private

Post by Father Angus »

Big Daddy O'Reilly wrote:Believe it or not, this was the very first episode I ever saw of M*A*S*H, nearly a year before I ever sat down and actually watched the show and became a M*A*S*Her
Amazing. This was also my first episode, however about three years before I became a M*A*S*Her. :shock:
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Post by Ferret Face »

These episodes are kind of strange to me for the same reasons some people don't really care for it as much as they could. Mostly, Gary Burghoff's growing resentment towards having to come on the show (he was supposed to leave at the end of season 7), and how that was projected through Radar. This would not have been how I would have chosen to write out the character, who'd been so charming and innocent for the majority of his time on the show. Even if they wanted to have him go out being more mature, there are more in-character ways to do it IMO.

But, with that being said, I can't say that I dislike this episode. While this wasn't the Radar I would have wanted to say goodbye to, I thought they did a pretty good job of making the change a bit believable in this episode. He was tired, he was aggravated due to his less-than-desirable R&R (the scenes in the previous episodes were kind of forced and out-of-place, but they did a decent job of setting this up), with the one bright spot of the trip (the girl he met) being ripped away from him as he's forced to go back to camp, and immediately back to action. And then on top of that, finding out his uncle died... From my experience, when somebody goes through a really rough time like that, even the nicest people can become really grumpy, and ready to bite people's heads off.

That being said, I do think this half of the episode was probably my favorite part. It had a few moments where Radar was actually able to cool down and soften up, showing just a glimmer of the nicer Radar we came to care about, and had some very nice interactions between him and the other characters. I especially liked all the goodbyes which, as rushed as most of them were due to wounded, actually had a lot of heart to them. Plus it had the great moments where Radar got the jeeps to for the headlights, and Klinger got the generator. And it was great having the little callbacks early in the episode, to Blake's thermometer and Radar's purple heart.