(07x21) 168 - C*A*V*E

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
40%
Average
40%
Below average
20%
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 5

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(07x21) 168 - C*A*V*E

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Did you know this episode is what served as inspiration for the children's book and television character Franklin, the turtle? Apparently the original author of the Franklin books was watching episode one evening while nursing her baby, and was intrigued by Hawkeye's (Benjamin FRANKLIN Pierce) line about not wanting be reincarnated as a turtle, "Can you see me as a turtle? Afraid of going in my shell? All the other turtles laughing at me in my underwear?" One of the Franklin books (later adapted as an episode of his cartoon series) was about him not wanting to go into his shell because he's afraid of small dark places.
edmund0901
Private

Re: (07x21) 168 - C*A*V*E

Post by edmund0901 »

I know the premise of this episode was Hawkeye's fear of enclosed spaces but if I am not mistaken I thought several times over the years of MASH Hawkeye was in such situations and it didn't appear to bother him those other times.
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Post by Ferret Face »

I really like this episode, though I'll admit that I may be a bit biased. I just really like episodes where the doctors have to take care of patients in harsher conditions due to the war. And while it may not have been one of the best examples of that type of episode, I did think it had a few really good moments. I especially liked the parts towards the end between Hawkeye and Margaret, first when she tries to comfort him due to his claustrophobia, and then when they go back to the camp so they can operate, and Hawkeye tries to help her through her fears.
phantomeagle
Private

Post by phantomeagle »

edmund0901 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am I know the premise of this episode was Hawkeye's fear of enclosed spaces but if I am not mistaken I thought several times over the years of MASH Hawkeye was in such situations and it didn't appear to bother him those other times.
Well I can't remember any episodes where he was in that situation. Even the small supply room he was with a nurse most of the time. Even when he wasn't there alone, the door was right there, easily accessible with lots of light, and room to move around. Most every other room in the camp, and the tents had windows. My minor in college was in Psychology, so I know a bit about claustrophobia. Windows, especially with daylight, or even lamps, really alleviate most cases of claustrophobia, since they person can see outside, or at least that they're in such a small place, since windows make them seem a lot larger.
Mr Kwong
Corporal

Post by Mr Kwong »

A decent season 7 offering that supports 2 of my hypothesis:

1. M*A*S*H is better when most if not all characters are involved in the story,..

2. Hawkeye might very well be the most neurotic character in TV history