(07x20) 167 - Hot Lips is Back in Town

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
33%
Average
67%
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 3

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(07x20) 167 - Hot Lips is Back in Town

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Me being who I am, I actually like the B-story involving Radar in this episode, but I do agree that while at the same time, it did come across as tired and repetitive, especially considering the plot had been done twice before (Radar vying for Lieutenant Anderson’s affection in “Love Story” (1×14), and Lieuntenant Simmons’s in “Springtime” (3×06), the only difference was Nugent seemed to be a better match for Radar – he had nothing in common with Anderson and was at a loss conversing with her about Tolstoy and Baaaach, and he got the hots for Simmons after seeing her in a bikini, but Nugent was so demure and sweet and actually sought friendship with him, even though he was so preoccupied with trying to impress her that he was oblivious that.

But, as far as the A-story goes, it was kind of amusing what the others were going through having to put up with Margaret: first they saw she was dead from the neck up from her divorce decree that they tried to loosen her up with a round of drinks in the Officer’s Club, but then, once she found herself, and initiated her own nurse triage program, they then felt like they had created a monster. Also surprised you didn’t mention that Margaret brought up the spirit of Frank in this episode too. I do like how Margaret told off Weiskopf for misinterpreting her invitation as another chance for them to have a good time, when that’s not what she had in mind at all.

There’s just ONE thing about this episode I don’t understand: Hawkeye, B.J., and Margaret each got considerably drunk in the Officer’s Club, but then just a VERY short time later, Margaret is completely sobered up as she wakes Potter up to tell him about realizing the Army is her life and career… but then the following morning, Hawkeye has a hangover while taking a shower… so how did Margaret sober up so quickly, yet Hawkeye had a hangover?
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (07x20) 167 - Hot Lips is Back in Town

Post by Ferret Face »

A good episode for Margaret. I liked her dumbfounded reaction to finding out she was divorced, and how she then turned that around to her professionalism in the military. And one thing I liked about this story is that, as strict as she was with some of the nurses, it never really got overbearing. It was simply the way a good, strong leader would act. I know that some people hate her character's shrill nature, and feel like she tended to switch between that and a sweeter, down-to-earth mode much too easily and frequently. For me, it could sometimes be a bit much to bear (like in the episode where she screams at Potter and Radar so she can go on R&R with Donald), but didn't really hurt her character progression too much. But it would have been the wrong choice for this episode, destroying the strength of her self-evaluation and character growth.

As for Radar's story, I know it's a repeat of a story we've already seen, and it didn't really have any classic moments like "Ah, Bach!" But even so, I really liked it for what it was. It was kind of sweet seeing him trying to win Nurse Nugent over, and finally doing so by being open and honest.