(07x19) 166 - The Young and the Restless

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
60%
Average
20%
Below average
20%
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 5

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(07x19) 166 - The Young and the Restless

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I thought this was an interesting episode, and I think Hawkeye summarizes the episode best when he says, "This Simmonsitis is some disease - makes an invalid out of one man, and a drunk out of the other." Both Potter and Charles felt useless with the young, bright, intelligent, and efficient Captain Simmons from Tokyo General in camp: Potter, who was suffering from phlebitis, basically confines himself to his bunk while Simmons is around, likewise, Charles feels outsmarted, and outskilled by "Little Bobby Shafto whose come here to humilla-nilla-nate me". I do like the scene towards the end where Potter finally gives Charles the chewing out he deserves about how all he's done ever since he's been transfered to the 4077 is wimper and whine, and the two basically challenge each other to see who can weather their condition the best (Potter's phlebitis vs. Charles's hangover).

Come to think of it, it's actually pretty much Radar's fault Potter reacted the way he did: he unwittingly told Potter that with Simmons around they didn't need him, and of course, Potter DID feel unwanted/unneeded.

Also, Klinger's current scheme of believing he really is in Toledo was pretty clever, and once again, he was THIS close to actually getting a Section 8, until he flubbed the paperwork by saying he's a corporal (hey, if he was really in Toledo, he wouldn't be in the army, and therefore wouldn't be a corporal).
edmund0901
Private

Re: (07x19) 166 - The Young and the Restless

Post by edmund0901 »

I do think Charles had a point when he asked to be excused from OR after Potter returned. Potter had been on the sidelines for a few days while the swelling in his leg went down and now Charles feeling a big hangover asks the same consideration and Potter merely says he doesn't want to hear it.
Frank's Girl
Private

Post by Frank's Girl »

I think this is one of Jamie Farr's best episodes. I really enjoyed Klinger running around and pretending the camp was Toledo and doing the door to door salesman bit. Hysterical and well acted.
Captain Tuttle
Corporal

Post by Captain Tuttle »

Is the official title of this episode, "The Young And The Restless" or "The Young And Restless"?

I've seen it written both ways. In fact the episode guide here on the M*A*S*H4077TV.com website has it as "The Young And Restless" and in the episode discussion section here it's "The Young And The Restless".

If anyone has the DVD set of Season 7 can you confirm what the title is.

RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

According to the Season 7 DVD the title is "The Young and the Restless." I've seen it both ways online but most sources indicate it was "The Young and the Restless" so I've updated the website.
Captain Tuttle
Corporal

Post by Captain Tuttle »

RJ wrote:According to the Season 7 DVD the title is "The Young and the Restless." I've seen it both ways online but most sources indicate it was "The Young and the Restless" so I've updated the website.
Thanks RJ for clearing this up for me. :)
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Post by Ferret Face »

As a fan of Potter, and especially Charles... I have to say I'm not really fond of this one. The idea of solid enough, but the execution felt off. I'm not sure if it was the writing or the acting (I do love both actors, but they did have their weaker moments on the show), or a mixture of both, but I didn't really care for the way they portrayed those characters' insecurities. Though I will admit, I did like the parts towards the end, where Potter confronts Charles before the operation, and then Charles complimenting Potter after seeing how he's performed.

But I do agree this was a pretty good episode for Klinger. Seeing the different ways he tried acting like he was in Toledo, while also performing his duties was great.