(07x06) 153 - The Billfold Syndrome

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
50%
Average
50%
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 4

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(07x06) 153 - The Billfold Syndrome

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

This was kind of an interesting episode... it kind of had the same effect that "Sometimes You Hear the Bullet" (1x17) did. It was really sad that Jerry the medic ended up losing his kid brother out in battle, and I can see why he would give himself amnesia over the whole thing, considering he was under a lot of pressure from his mother to look out for him.

The B-story with Charles giving everybody the silent treatment, while Hawkeye and B.J. conspire to get him to talk again is amusing at best.
RJ
General of the Army

Re: (07x06) 153 - The Billfold Syndrome

Post by RJ »

In July 2015, visitors to MASH4077TV.com voted "The Billfold Syndrome" their favorite episode from Season 7. Do you agree or disagree?

See the full results here.
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (07x06) 153 - The Billfold Syndrome

Post by Ferret Face »

I really liked this episode. I thought the story with the medic was very interesting, with the hypnotism being a great dramatic climax to the episode. And of course, Sidney's always a welcome addition to the show. As for Charles' story, I thought it had a lot of great humor, with him getting so fed up with everything, and Hawkeye and BJ's attempts at making him talk.

To be honest, while there are a good number of episodes where I think having one dramatic storyline mixed with a comedic one works well, but there are other times it doesn't. In some cases, the comedic storyline can kind of diminish the impact that they're going for with the dramatic storyline. This doesn't necessarily make them bad episodes (in fact one such episode is one of the highlights of the series for me: "The Life You Save"), but those episodes could be even stronger without having a forced comedic story mixed in. Luckily, I don't think this is one of those episodes that are hurt by such a structure. Of course, I can understand if others may feel differently, but I do think they manage to work as two opposing, but loosely connected halves of the episode.