(07x02) 149 - Peace on Us

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
No votes
Average
100%
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 3

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(07x02) 149 - Peace on Us

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

This episode seems to be regarded as the very definition of Season Seven of M*A*S*H, as I understand, it's another one of those plots that was based on an actual thing that happened in Korea, where those at a MASH unit all dyed their hair red and all wore red clothing.

On the other hand, I bet Gene Reynolds wasn't happy about this episode which begins the arc throughout the season about Margaret's pending divorce from Donald Penobscott.
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (07x02) 149 - Peace on Us

Post by Ferret Face »

For a while, I didn't particularly care for this one. It definitely stretches credibility having Hawkeye be able to get into the peace conference. Also, as a whole, I didn't really mind the "preachiness" of the show or Hawkeye's character, but there were definitely times it could be a bit much even for me, and this was one of those cases. Not to mention, I've always viewed the ending with the red hair dye as a bit silly.

That being said, I've seemed to have warmed up to it a bit more, since I actually did kind of enjoy it this time around. Improbability aside, it does make sense for Hawkeye's character to become so upset, both for personal reasons (the army increasing the points needed for him to go home) and empathetic reasons (Margaret's failing marriage), that he goes to such extreme lengths to blow off steam. Though I will say that, while the episode "Commander Pierce" was probably a better choice to start off the season as far as stories go, the fact that this does take place after that one makes a bit less believable that he'd go off in a jeep like that, since he knew what it was like dealing with the consequences when BJ did it in that episode (plus it would have made for a better contrast while watching "Commander Pierce"). Also, as silly as the the hair dye party seemed to me in previous viewings, I actually did like it more this time. It seemed like a great way for the characters to blow off steam, and to forget the war for a little while.

I still wouldn't call it a favorite, especially with the suspension of disbelief required, but overall I'm surprised at how enjoyable I found this to be this time.