(06x21) 143 - Mail Call Three

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
33%
Above average
33%
Average
No votes
Below average
33%
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 3

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(06x21) 143 - Mail Call Three

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Of the "Mail Call" trilogy, this one is my favorite.

I once saw a glimpse of this episode before I actually started watching the series regularly: it was the middle of the night, I was stuck in a hotel room, there didn't seem to be anything to watch, so while channel surfing, I came across the scene where B.J. had woken Radar up to call Peg, and in frustration, B.J. grabbed the teddy bear, shaking it, causing Radar to freak.
Mr Kwong
Corporal

Re: (06x21) 143 - Mail Call Three

Post by Mr Kwong »

The "Mail call" episodes have always been fun, and in this one, it's the enlisted men's chance to shine.

Klinger get's a "Dear John" letter from LaVerne, but the rest of the camp dismisses it as just another scam to go home. His meltdown during movie night is the best scene in the episode. He goes AWOL, but changes his mind at the last minute.

Meanwhile, Radar learns that his Mom has a boyfriend, and he's having trouble with it. in another very good scene, Hawkeye sets Radar straight, revealing that he was in a similar situation as a child.

This was the final episode written by Fritzell & Greenbaum, who had a unique, folksy brand of humor that would be missed in the later seasons
phantomeagle
Private

Re: (06x21) 143 - Mail Call Three

Post by phantomeagle »

I love this episode as well. The interaction between Radar and Hawkeye is really good. Hawkeye was able to help Radar see that his mother dating was a good thing, by using his own experience. Hawk also helped Radar that he was jealous since he had to share his mother for the first time.