(06x16) 138 - The Smell of Music

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
No votes
Average
50%
Below average
50%
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 2

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(06x16) 138 - The Smell of Music

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

This is considered one of the best episodes of the series... it's not a favorite of mine, persay, I don't watch it just an awful lot, but at the same time, I don't hate it either, and when I do watch, it gets a number of laughs from me... I love how ridiculous the whole personal war between Hawkeye and B.J. and Charles played out, between Hawkeye and B.J. refusing to shower until Charles quits playing his "sawed-off tuba", while Charles refuses to give up playing his French horn (even though he isn't even good at it). The rest of the camp's intervention by attacking Hawk and Beej with buckets of suds and the hose, and running over Charles's horn with a jeep was really funny, but I think what really kills me is the tag, with Cho Man Chin having built Charles a new horn out of parts of other different brass instruments.

CHARLES: Wait a minute, there's no mouthpiece.
CHO: (Obliviously happy) Yeah!
CHARLES: What do you mean "yeah"?
kkt
Sergeant

Re: (06x16) 138 - The Smell of Music

Post by kkt »

I wasn't that crazy about the main plot of this one. Seems like a time when Potter would have put a stop to it, order Charles to limit the hours he plays the horn and order Hawkeye and BJ to shower. I understand that most of the time the C.O. needs to let people settle their own quarrels but once it starts involving the whole camp and keeping them from getting their work done it needs to stop. Harsh for Charles to lose his horn, too