(04x03) 075 - Change of Command

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
25%
Average
75%
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 4

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(04x03) 075 - Change of Command

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I admit that I actually didn't like Colonel Potter at first. Henry had been one of my favorite characters from the original cast, and he was such a funny character at that... then he was discharged, killed, then in came by-the-book, Regular Army Potter. I had trouble adjusting: Potter seemed so deadpan and unfunny at first, after having been used to Henry, but slowly and surely, I later found myself warmed up to Potter to the point that when I actually did see another episode from previous seasons, I was like, "Oh yeah, Henry Blake, I remember him..."

Potter does have some funny moments himself, but he's not laugh-out-loud, slapstick funny like Henry was; Potter lets out a number of really dry, one-liners (not to mention his little sayings, like "Horse hockey" or "Buffalo chips"). Potter also has this quality about him that makes you wish he was your grandfather. A very efficient commanding officer. I feel bad looking back on how I disliked him at first, but then again, we all (even the characters on the show) needed time to get to know him and accustomed to him.

Oh... and the crowning moment of funny in this episode? Frank throwing a temper tantrum like a five-year-old in Margaret's tent - complete with the feet stomping, the fists poundings, and holding his breath. Fast forward today, and Kanye West actually makes Frank Burns looks like mature and grown up.
5'O'clockcharlie
Corporal

Re: (04x03) 075 - Change of Command

Post by 5'O'clockcharlie »

I was always upset about Henry getting killed. Especially when it was on his way home. But its what makes the show I guess. Potter will always been my favorite out of the two.This episode was just kind of eh to me besides the Frank part which you talked about already. :potter:
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

The various comings and goings of different characters was actually one of the things that quite endears me to this classic series.Back in the 1980's a local tv station conducted polls like "Potter VS Blake","Trapper VS BJ" and "Frank Burns VS Charles Winchester" and ran episodes featuring each winner for a week each.This particular change in MASH personel rekindled the career of Harry Morgan who had previosly been on another great American series called "Dragnet",a police drama set in LA.Morgan had also appeared in a '50's comedy called "Pete and Gladys".After "MASH",MacLean Stevenson did a show called "Hello,Larry" where he played a radio talk show host.Although not truly awful,this one was rather short lived.
Mr Kwong
Corporal

Post by Mr Kwong »

I remember not knowing what to think when we learned at the end of "Welcome to Korea" that Harry Morgan was returning to the show as the new C.O. Were we going to get another Gen Steele? It wasn't long after Potter's arrival that we realize that this is a totally different character we're dealing with, Potter can be gruff & military (his initial meeting with Klinger leaps to mind), but has a very human side, It's a well written character, but Harry Morgan is also a very good actor. As the episode rolls on, Potter slowly lets his guard down, eventually ending up in the swamp, bonding with Hawk & BJ over homemade hooch & singing WW1 songs.