(04x02) 074 - Welcome to Korea, Part 2

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
50%
Average
50%
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 4

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

(04x02) 074 - Welcome to Korea, Part 2

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Some M*A*S*Hers consider this a "road trip episode", and I guess I can see that; we spend a majority of this episode with Hawkeye and Radar driving B.J. to the 4077th, with a few stops along the way, like being pulled over by the M.P. from Part 1, the flat tire, mortar fire, and a stop at Rosie's for a couple of rounds of drinks.

One little note I find interesting about this episode was B.J. was actually military. Notice when Radar runs into the minefield to help the farmgirl who got blasted by a mine, as both Hawkeye and B.J. yell at him to get out of there, B.J. actually yells at Radar by his last name. I thought that was unusual, but then again, I guess B.J. figured he'd have to practice some military correctness being in the army, but after spending time with Hawkeye and getting used to life at the 4077th he probably realized that wasn't necessary.

I honestly wonder though... exactly how horribly wounded was that one soldier that caused Beej to have to crawl over to some tall grass to throw up?
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Re: (04x02) 074 - Welcome to Korea, Part 2

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

"Welcome" is without question one of my top ten episodes.Well executed dark comedy as well as highly convincing drama.Probably also one of the better directed shows.Whenever I watch this one,I think not only of how Hawkeye missed saying goodbye to Trapper by a lousy 10 minutes,but how BJ narrowly missed the opportunity to MEET Trap by the same measly time span!
Captain Tuttle
Corporal

Post by Captain Tuttle »

Welcome to Korea(both parts 1 & 2) is one of my all time favorite episodes. Trapper is now gone and BJ is introduced in such a way that by the end of the episode you can really see him and Hawkeye have bonded and will become great friends. Putting BJ and Hawkeye into this 'adventure' story really helped to cement their friendship and from a viewers perspective made the transition from Trapper to BJ believable.
Mdio1000
Private

Post by Mdio1000 »

I often wondered why Hawkeye said .Oh No Indy .when he realized the locals ran into the forest because of snipers being near by.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

He actually said, "Uh-oh, Andy," to Radar.

He actually calls Radar "Andy" a few times throughout the series . . . this is before my time, so I don't quite know the details, but this is supposedly a refence to a youthful Mickey Rooney character named Andy, whom I guess was popular at the time.