(01x07) 007 - Bananas, Crackers and Eggs

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
No votes
Above average
100%
Average
No votes
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 3

RJ
General of the Army

(01x07) 007 - Bananas, Crackers and Eggs

Post by RJ »

Use this thread to discuss episode 01x07, Bananas, Crackers and Eggs.
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (01x07) 007 - Bananas, Crackers and Eggs

Post by Ferret Face »

A really good episode IMO. I do think the first half was a bit better than the second half, as Hawkeye tries to convince Frank he's going crazy so he can get a pass to Tokyo. I especially liked the scene with the liver. "You ruined my liver! Ruined it! And we're all out of North Koreans!" And while I didn't think the second half was quite as strong, I still really liked it overall. Hawkeye pretending to be in love with Frank, and being jealous of Margaret was great.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Hey RJ, I think you made a little goof here: the episode title is "Bananas, Crackers, and Nuts," not "Bananas, Crackers, and Egg." ;)

That being said, when I first started watching M*A*S*H as a teenager, this episode really, really confused me, and I think this actually says a lot about the Hawkeye character, and Alan Alda's skills and abilities as an actor, because it didn't really don on me at first that Hawkeye was just putting on a front for everybody - it especially didn't help that, I believe, syndication cut this exchange from reruns:

TRAPPER: Were you just acting?
HAWKEYE: You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Having the dog hooked up to oxygen is also cut, as well as Frank and Margaret discussing the possibility that Hawkeye is faking, and that calling in Captain Sherman to exam him was Margaret's idea to see if he's pulling a fast one, so it kind of makes it seem as though Hawkeye really is losing his marbles. On top of that, Hawkeye pretending to be in love with Frank isn't exactly out of character for him either, mainly because in other episodes, we see him playfully trying to move in on Frank - if only just to get him riled up. I can imagine, with this being the early 70s, how risque it must have seemed for TV audiences (and probably the network as well) for Hawkeye to pull a stunt like that.

But again, looking back on this episode as an adult, I understand Hawkeye was just putting on an act - and he did such a good job at that.
Mr Kwong
Corporal

Post by Mr Kwong »

The whole "pretend to be sick/crazy so you can get a vacation" ploy has been done to death, ("The Honeymooners" did something similar way back when) and this particular episode adds its own twist. Until Hawkeye is placed under arrest, Things are pretty uninspired, the dog in the hospital bed, and Hawkeye's performance (seriously, what was he ACTUALLY eating) in the mess tent were more silly than funny. Stuart Margolin livens things up in the second act, otherwise a so/so episode
Doug
Private

Post by Doug »

Philip Sherman: I waited in the bar for you until 4 AM.

Margaret: I told you I wasn't coming.

Sherman: You didn't lie.