Introductions

Discuss anything not related to M*A*S*H here, within limits. Keep things civil at all times.
MashFan81
Private

Re: Introductions

Post by MashFan81 »

Welcome Chris!
chriswb504
Corporal

Post by chriswb504 »

Thank you! :D
Colonel Henry
Private

Post by Colonel Henry »

Hi,just joined! :D I'm a young feller from Georgia that's been watching MASH for three years now.I'm planning on joining the military myself when I graduate.Anyway,glad to be here!
chriswb504
Corporal

Post by chriswb504 »

Hi,just joined! :D I'm a young feller from Georgia that's been watching MASH for three years now.I'm planning on joining the military myself when I graduate.Anyway,glad to be here!
Pleased to meet you & Congratulations! 8-)
MashFan81
Private

Post by MashFan81 »

Colonel Henry wrote:Hi,just joined! :D I'm a young feller from Georgia that's been watching MASH for three years now.I'm planning on joining the military myself when I graduate.Anyway,glad to be here!
Hello and Welcome! :bj2:
Darth Florist
Private

Post by Darth Florist »

Hi y'all! Darth Florist here, hailing from Edinburgh, Scotland, though I'm NOT a Jock, nor do I like whisky (though I do like haggis!) I do like Belhaven beer, brewed in Dunbar, east of Edinburgh.
I've been into M*A*S*H since I first saw it in the late 1970's here in the UK on BBC2. As far as I'm concerned, it's the BEST comedy series to come out of the USA, though it doesn't have much competition. I was given the full DVD set of episodes by my wife a couple of Christmases ago, which included the M*A*S*H film and a few specials. I've also got ALL of the M*A*S*H books, though the ones ghost written by William Butterworth are awful. The ones written PURELY by Hooker are excellent. At the moment, a UK TV Freeview Channel, "True Entertainment", is showing re-runs of M*A*S*H episodes 6 days a week.

Any questions?
"Emotionally Exhausted and Morally Bankrupt!"
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

Welcome to the forums. Being from the UK, where supposedly M*A*S*H has always aired without a laugh track, have you ever seen any episodes with the laugh track?
Darth Florist
Private

Post by Darth Florist »

RJ - there's a little more to it than that. You're quite right - when BBC2 first showed M*A*S*H in the late 1970's, and repeated them in the mid/late 1980's, all but one episode had NO laughter track. There was one that did, which I'll expand on a little later. You have to bear in mind that the average viewer wouldn't have any idea how M*A*S*H was presented in the USA, so it wasn't an issue. It was only when some of the documentaries that came out later did we learn of the change of 'policy', for want of a better word.
Another thing that the British viewer suffered from AT THE TIME, was that we had no idea that the episodes had titles! They certainly never appeared on the opening credits (I don't think they ever did, even in the USA), yet in subsequent discussions, especially with someone on the West side of the Atlantic, they referred to the episode title, which was meaningless to us in the 51st State. However, on the repeats they are currently showing on the 'True Entertainment', they mention the episode title, AND the laughter track is present, so this channel 'bought' M*A*S*H from the USA rather than the BBC. The ONLY episode that was originally shown with the laughter track was the one where a Benjamin Pierce in Korea died, but the administration got him mixed up with Hawkeye. There was a bus driver called Digger who was trying to take ANY Benjamin Pierce back, just to keep his paperwork in order.
This is might be the wrong place to mention this, but M*A*S*H used a few words that would be considered as swearing in the UK. As an example, in different episodes, Trapper and Henry utter the word "bugger". If you check an English English (if you see what I mean) dictionary, you might be surprised at the definition of it!
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

And don't you consider the word "spunk" to be a swear over there as well? Over here, it's a way of saying someone has energy and charisma, while also having guts and willpower. Conversely, there's a few words in your vocabulary that aren't so clean over here as well - I believe a slang you have for cigarettes would be "fags," right? Over here, it's short for faggot, which is a slur against homosexuals. Interesting how we speak the same language (well, okay, not exactly the same), yet different words have completely different meanings among our two cultures.

And thanks for mentioning which episode specifically accidentally left the laugh track on - I'm one of a few "laugh track nerds" on the internet, and that's actually some rather historical information that would be very interesting.

I understand the UK is now removing the laugh track from reruns of HOGAN'S HEROES as well - apparently, from what I understand, they're trying to downplay the show's humor (which is a lot more slapstick and broad compared to M*A*S*H) and to try and put more emphasis on its "serious moments" (which, also compared to M*A*S*H, is virtually non-existent).
Darth Florist
Private

Post by Darth Florist »

I've moved the language to another thread, as it's stopped being an introduction.
I haven't seen Hogan's Heroes for years, but I've been reliably informed that a British TV channel (don't know which one) has been showing them, and some of the later episodes have NO laughter track, or 'canned laughter' as we limeys usually call it.
The Quirkster
Private

G'day all!

Post by The Quirkster »

G'day to all my fellow diehard M*A*S*H fanatics!

My name is Dan, and I'm from Sydney, Australia. I've been watching M*A*S*H for the greatest part of my 33 years on this Earth.

I became a fanatic when I was a young, depressed kid. At night, at 6pm, an episode of M*A*S*H would be on. I clinged to that part of my day as it made me laugh and provided a feeling of security. Why I'm mentioning this is unclear even to me, but I suppose it is a testimony to my love for the show.

My baby sister (well, 26 years old) has shared this love of M*A*S*H just as strongly as I do. We have all 11 seasons on DVD, but we need to get new ones because we've watched them so many times.

I guess I feel that I am amongst friends here, with the same absolute passion for the show. It means a great deal to me.

Well, this post has been certainly dull and for that I apologise. But I am very happy to be here to talk about M*A*S*H, without question the best TV show of all time.

Without question.

Cheers, all!
"The instrument is yet to be invented that can measure my indifference to that remark."

"Shavings mugs.....shaving mugs.....shavings mug....."

"Sound! Where's the sound?!"
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

Welcome to the forums, Dan! Glad to have you here.
Nanoose
Private

Greetings from Vancouver Island BC

Post by Nanoose »

Glad to be here and I'm looking forward to talking about one of my favorite TV series. Cheers!
The rain falls on the rivers and trees and we live by the Golden rule. But a hard road can bring us all to our knees and we can die by our own point of view.
Miley
Private

Post by Miley »

:)
Hi All!

I'm new here, looking for people to talk about MASH;) I have a Mash addiction for about 13 years, and i'm only 25 years old:p At first I watched it on television with my dad, and after that I started to buy DVDs. :)
It even inspired me to do the medicine bachelor and now i'm going to be a nurse (I like that more I think). I think Mash has beautiful stories, ideology, and of course its just hilarious!
Ive got an autograph from Alan Alda and Mike Farrell.
Im from the Netherlands by the way ;)

Nice to be here!
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

Welcome to the forums. There isn't as much activity here as I'd like, partly because I don't have much free time to post as often as I should, but occasionally we have some interesting conversations.