Episode 10.1 and Pierce's view on Women

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
townsbg
Sergeant

Episode 10.1 and Pierce's view on Women

Post by townsbg »

I just got done re-watching that episode (That's Show Biz) and I must say that Hawkeye's actions confuse me. Through out the entire series he frequently makes passes on all of the nurses (except perhaps Kellye?) and usually more than once. In this episode though a very hot patient of his makes a lot of passes on him and he goes from initially brushing them off to absolutely refusing to return her advances saying that he promised not to scar her.

Does anyone have any idea as to why? Do you think it's because he's afraid of long term relationships and he thought that's where she was going? Could it be that he doesn't want to get involved with a patient? Perhaps it is that he cares enough for her to know that he'll just hurt her (as compared to the nurses where all he obviously wants is a good time). Possibly it's because he knew that she would be leaving in the very near future or perhaps he'd rather be involved with someone closer to his profession. What are your thoughts?
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: Episode 10.1 and Pierce's view on Women

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Well, remember that Hawkeye became a bit of a more sensible character in those later seasons, drinking less and not chasing after nurses so much; some say it was the network forcing the show to become more politically correct, others like Mike Farrell said it was them looking back on what they had done on the show before, as far as childish behavior was concerned, and how much they "grew up" and "knew better" by then, that they started to tone down, and become more mature.

But I think we can all agree that Hawkeye, in general, had some serious commitment issues: like remember in "Ceasefire" (1x23), two different nurses (Cutler being one of them) tried to discuss a post-war relationship with him, as he gave that impression to both of them, but he weaseled his way out of both of them by making up a lie that he actually has a stateside family: a wife and children.
townsbg
Sergeant

Post by townsbg »

That's what I thought . He'd rather have a good time than a commitment. If I remember right in the finale he confessed to at least one nurse that he suffered from terminal marriage. I do remember also when him and Margaret where MIA and during that "something" happened between them. After that she asked him what they where going to tell Donald and he was clearly panicked over that. :shock:
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

townsbg wrote:I do remember also when him and Margaret where MIA and during that "something" happened between them. After that she asked him what they where going to tell Donald and he was clearly panicked over that. :shock:
Well frankly, I would've panicked too... I mean I wouldn't think of being "intimate" with a married woman in the first place, but still, I think Hawkeye realized that he found himself in the position of being "the other man" who may have led to the breakup of the marriage, and wasn't sure how Donald would react, let alone, what Donald would do to him for messing with his woman.

It brings to mind a scene fromthe movie Housesitter (directed by one of my heroes, Frank Oz): in the movie, Steve Martin ended up pretending to be married to Goldie Hawn, but Dana Delany had been his dream girl, and at one point, as they're talking, they slowly start to make out, and Martin was just about to take it a step further when Dana Delany stopped him and said, "I can't be the other woman! Every marriage has its end, but not because of me!" I think that's why Hawkeye panicked, because he realized if their marriage ended, it would be because he was "the other man". Kind of similar when he was drawn to Joan Van Ark in that episode (can't remember the episode, or her character's name), but saw she had what looked to be a wedding ring, and it made him uncomfortable that he was into a married woman, until she admitted she only wears it to "cut down on the wrestling matches".

Speaking of which... man, I missed out on Steve and his band coming to my town this past spring... that would've been a good show.
townsbg
Sergeant

Post by townsbg »

You have a good point.
Dear Sigmund
Private

Post by Dear Sigmund »

I do believe that this episode took place after "Inga" and a few others that really "called" Hawkeye out on going after nurses etc... (i cant remember if the episode where he has the bottle of wine and ends up sharing with all the nurses comes before or after 10.1), but i do remember there were at least a couple episodes after "Inga" that either called Hawkeye out and/or made him think twice about going after nurses
"Right! Should I write "Wammo," sir? "
"Uh, no, no, it doesn't sound too G.I. Make it... "Socko."