Post-mash shows

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
townsbg
Sergeant

Post-mash shows

Post by townsbg »

Has anyone seen any of the Mash spin-offs they made after or during Mash. I know of After Mash, Trapper John, M.D., & Walter. Are any of them any good?
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: Post-mash shows

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Trapper John, M.D. is pretty much the only somewhat successful spin-off there is, however, technically it's not a spin-off of the show and Wayne Rogers's Trapper, it's supposed to be a spin-off of the movie and Elliot Gould's Trapper.

AfterMASH clearly wasn't successful, mainly because there wasn't much of an effort put into it so much as it was the network simply looking for a gimmick to try to keep M*A*S*H alive now that it was over... even Jamie Farr said it wasn't an enjoyable experience because he knew this wasn't going to work. Plus, when you think about it, it's a little odd: how and why do Potter, Klinger, and Mulcahy end up at the same stateside hospital in Missouri, when Klinger's from Toledo, and Mulcahy's (supposedly) from Philadelphia? Why would Klinger want to leave Toledo? The only interesting that about it was that I THINK by that show's second season, Klinger and Soon-Lee actually had a baby, so that was probably a little risky for TV then (since Klinger and Soon-Lee were a mixed couple, and they would've produced quite an ethnic offspring being half Lebanese/half Korean).

W*A*L*T*E*R is supposed to be on YouTube last time I heard, though I think on paper, the spin-off sounded disasterous anyway: Radar suffers from depression after failing at farming since his mother's passing, so he sells the family farm, moves in with his cousin in St. Louis, and becomes a cop. That just didn't seem like a good direction they took Radar's civilian life in, it seemed pretty random.
pinkpagoda
Private

Post by pinkpagoda »

I liked Trapper John M.D. - and the opening credits to this can be found on you tube. They contain what appears to be a picture of the Hawkeye and Trapper of the television show on his wall, along with other pix from Korea. The faces are obscure so you can't tell if it really is Alda and Rogers, but I think that was more for the edification of the audience, because you are right, the Trapper on that show was the head surgeon as in the movie.

What is really cute is that Gonzo Gates is played by the guy who was the husband to Linda Kelsey in the episode Nurses on M*A*S*H - Gregory Harrison. And of course Ginger is on this show as well. (And in the television series, Trapper dances with her on one episode at a party, and Ginger was also the nurse who helped fool the patient into thinking he got the "wrong blood".

I never saw either of the others - and find it amazing that Father Mulcahey has regained his hearing AND left the orphans he wanted to serve to come to work with Colonel Potter and Klinger in AfterMash. It was just sad, really.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

I wish they would have made a few spinoff episodes showing all the characters coming home. Maybe one episode per main character. I'd love to see the homelife of them since we heard to much about the families.
Best Care Anywhere
MashFan81
Private

Post by MashFan81 »

W*A*L*T*E*R "was" on Youtube. I'm going to try and find it again. It was really a weak attempt at a plot line for Burghoff's character. But the one episode aired is worth a watch.

AfterMash I actually thought showed some potential. They just lacked a clear direction and quality writing.
The whole plot line is that Potter is unhappy just sitting around the house after retiring so he ends up taking and administrative position at the local VA Hospital. Meanwhile, Klinger and Soon-Lee have returned to Toledo and he ends up getting into trouble with the law after failing to re-acclimate to civilian life. It is revealed that Potter has offered him a job and based on this fact, the judge lets him leave and avoid jail.
As for the Mulcahy thing, he doesn't just miraculously get his hearing back. Potter and Klinger recieve a letter from his sister (the sister) telling them of his depression and troubles drinking. Potter knows of an experimental surgery being done to restore hearing and manages to get Mulcahy to a hospital in St Louis to have the operation. Once he regains his hearing Mulcahy joins Potter and Klinger.
MashFan81
Private

Post by MashFan81 »

Here's the WALTER episode:

chriswb504
Corporal

Post by chriswb504 »

I was wondering if there are DVD's or even a VHS, with the WALTER pilot, available. :radar:
MashFan81
Private

Post by MashFan81 »

I have not heard of it officially existing on DVD or VHS, but that's not to say it doesn't exist in rare quantities.

I personally have a copy of the final episode on LaserDisc, so who knows what exists out there.

That being said... there are some really decent programs for download on the web. ;)

I'll just leave this here...

http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-to-D ... 69581.html