Survey/Getting to know you

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Ranger
Corporal

Survey/Getting to know you

Post by Ranger »

My ex used to run a Doctor Who fanzine and this was a survey he used to do for new members, thought I'd adapt it for M*A*S*H. Feel free to answer and add your own questions.

Birthday Episode

For those of us born during Mash's initial run this easy, it's the episode which aired closest to your day of birth, if you weren't born at that time interpret this how you wish.
My ep is The Nurses which aired the day before I was born.

Fan Shame 1 – Unpopular episodes you like. (Using the List in Best Care Anywhere for this)
I have a soft spot for Edwina as it's one of the first episodes I remember watching and I'm kind of clumsy too so I can relate. I can't say I like the episode exactly but I can watch it with a nice glow of nostalgia. I also like Temporary Duty as I like to see Charles and BJ work together. I was also surprised to see The Gun so low down. I think that's a great episode. “My Bear Went Off” always makes me giggle.

Fan Shame 2 – Popular Episodes you don't like.
As You Were and Chief Surgeon Who? As You Were just seems too contrived with the gorilla suits and everything and Chief Surgeon Who is too similar to the pilot so it's all a bit predictable. They still have their good moments though.

Episode you've changed your mind about.
I remember not liking the Interview when I first saw it as it seemed dull to an 11 year old, now I think it's a masterpiece.

Episode you'd recommend to a none fan.

Dear Sigmund because there is so much in it, humour, pathos, great characterisation, writing and acting. I think a none fan could watch this and get a good idea about the show.

Old Friend Episode – The Episode you come to if you're felling blue.

Deal Me Out, it makes me laugh, that's all there is to it.

Do you know anyone who reminds you a MASH character.

My old Head of Year at school was called Mr Potter and he reminded me a lot of Colonel Potter, he had a temper but was basically a really sound bloke who knew his students very well and tried to help if they were in trouble and was liked and respected by pretty much everyone, even those who hated school. He retired the year we did and we had a surprise party for him at his favourite football club's grounds. He was thrilled.

What you think of the Novels/Films/ Spin Offs?
Haven't read the novel or seen any of the spin offs. When I first saw the film I didn't like it, but I like it more and more with each viewing.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: Survey/Getting to know you

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Oh, this is cool Ranger!

1. Unfortunately, TV series usually run from September to March or so, so there's really no episodes that are close to my birthday... HOWEVER, "The Most Unforgettable Characters" (5x15) takes place on June 13, which is my birthday, and oddly enough, the subplot of that episode is :frank:'s birthday... which means I have to share my bday with a ferret face! :shock:
2. I notice a lot of fans give "Cowboy" (1x08) a lot of static, but it's one of my early favorites, in fact, an old friend and I love to quote a befuddled :henry:'s "Jeep... Crash... Boom... Kill... Jeep... Crash... Boom... Kill... Jeep... Crash... Boom... Kill..." I also don't find "Major Fred C. Dobbs" (1x22) to be the absolutely worst episode of the series, like the cast and crew claim it to be.
3. I really don't like "Inga" (7x17), but I am proud for Alan Alda for winning Emmies for that episode, it just didn't do anything for me personally.
4. I used to didn't care too much for "O.R." (3x05), mainly because I think since it mostly takes place in one area for the entire half hour, I found it to be slow and sleepy, but I don't know why, I've just done an about-face regarding it in the last couple of years or so.
5. That's really hard to say... maybe perhaps "Divided We Stand" (2x01), it was a better "pilot" storywise than "Pilot Episode" (1x01) was.
6. Oh, any episode really, the show in general does a great job of cheering me up when I'm feeling blue... in fact, I've often said that M*A*S*H is televisual prozac, lol.
7. I am the real-life :radar:. :P
8. I can't help but wonder if a spin-off would've been more successful if Alan Alda was involved... I think W*A*L*T*E*R could've been done a lot better rather than have Mrs. O'Reilly die, :radar: sell the farm, move to St. Louis and become a cop with his cousin. As for the original movie, I think it's in a league of it's own, neither better or worse than it's succeeding series, just different... unfortunately, I haven't read the original novel, though all of those sequel novels are just plain weird like "M*A*S*H Goes to Maine", "M*A*S*H Goes to Miami", "M*A*S*H Goes to Vegas", "M*A*S*H Goes to the Store", "M*A*S*H Goes Upstairs", "M*A*S*H Goes Next Door", "M*A*S*H Goes to Hell", "M*A*S*H Goes to Canada to Harass Jeeter", "M*A*S*H Goes West Young M*A*S*H"...
Ranger
Corporal

Re: Survey/Getting to know you

Post by Ranger »

People seem to be a bit weirded out by Cowboy because they feel guilty about laughing at :henry: in peril because of what happens to him. It's a good episode though, I like the bit when Radar won't go into Henry's office and is using the fishing rod to pass the papers through.