Give Igor a Chance!

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Chuck
Sergeant

Give Igor a Chance!

Post by Chuck »

I've been thinking about the people you always see in MASH, but don't get the regular credit like Hawkeye, BJ or Radar. Igor has had some funny encounters on the show with main characters. For example, when Frank is talking to him about food compartment use standardization. Igor says something like "Yes"...Frank says, "Yes, what"....Igor says, "Yes, Sir"....Frank says, "Yes, Sir what"...Igor (with a look of complete confusion) says, "Yes, sir, sir" or something like that. I would like to think that Igor could have done very well as a main character on the show. Obviously, nothing can be done now, but I only wish he could have been given a chance then. What if they had made him company clerk instead of Klinger? I think of all the uncredited characters, he is my favorite. His facial expressions and one-liners are funny.
RJ
General of the Army

Re: Give Igor a Chance!

Post by RJ »

I've always had a soft spot for Igor. I think Jeff Maxwell did a brilliant job with such a small role. His interactions with Frank were always hilarious. But I feel like Igor was often depicted as, if not slightly incompetent, then certainly less than enthusiastic about his various duties. Were he to have become company clerk, I wonder how long he would have lasted before Colonel Potter sacked him in a fit of rage.
Chuck
Sergeant

Re: Give Igor a Chance!

Post by Chuck »

Klinger was a bit of a misfit too, but he worked well in the company clerk position. I think Igor could have added so much more to the show. I think at about season 3 or 4, the show looses much of its humor to give way to more serious issues. Igor could have provided more comedic relief than Klinger could, I think.