The Weakest Link

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

The Weakest Link

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Occasionally, I'll lurk on the IMDb boards and read what they're discussing (I've had TWO accounts hacked over there, and I wasn't able to register a third one, because by then, IMDb started forcing "new" member to PAY for accounts, they say it was to keep out trolls, but... well...); recently, I came across a rather stupid-seeming thread: they were discuss who they felt was the weakest link among the main cast members, I seem to recall the original poster saying they felt Bill Christopher fit that description, saying that the way he delivered his lines was as if he was constantly reading off cue cards or something.

I never really thought there was a weakling within the cast, though lately, the more I think about, I think I may have actually found one: Jamie Farr. Don't get me wrong, I love Jamie, and I really love Klinger (it's odd watching those early Season One episodes where there was no Klinger), however lately, I've been notice that his performances almost seem like he tends to really ham it up for the camera, almost as if most (though not all) of his performances have this kind of flourish, sort of "high school dramatics club" flair to them... just my thinking...

Otherwise, I really don't think there is a true "weakest link" among the cast.
Zelmo Zale
Private

Re: The Weakest Link

Post by Zelmo Zale »

I can agree with Klinger as weakest link, but only starting with Season 8 once he was company clerk. Seasons 1-7, Klinger was used sparingly and in bursts (think Newman on Seinfeld) and came across much funnier. Any episode with Klinger in drag is better than Klinger in fatigues.

But I would have to say Christopher is the weakest overall link because he isn't the actor the rest of them are. There is nothing wrong with him, just has some comedic and acting skills to contend with and he gets lost in the shuffle. When your weakest link is the 8th person on the credit list, ain't no crime.
Ranger
Corporal

Post by Ranger »

There are some very strange people on imdb aren't there? Does that person who was obsessed with Gary's mole still post?

I'd agree that Jamie was the weakest link, but he's still not exactly weak. He was great and very entertaining but wasn't as subtle or nuanced as some of the others.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Ranger wrote:There are some very strange people on imdb aren't there? Does that person who was obsessed with Gary's mole still post?
Ya know, the last time I lurked over there (which WAS quite some time ago), I do believe I saw that thread of his about Gary/Radar's mole... matter of fact, I seem to recall once upon a time over at BCA, some newbie striking up a thread about the mole... gee whiz, people have moles, some may be more unsightly than others, but they just simply exist, get over it... I never see anybody who watches Hogan's Heroes wig out over the mole on Larry Hovis's cheek.

But yes, that's what I wanted to say about Jamie's acting, there isn't that much subtlety to it; again I love him, and I love Klinger (especially when he ran around in dresses like Zelmo mentioned), but it just seems like at times, he just tries too hard to bring something to his performances, and it usually results in this sort of high school dramatics play kind of vibe.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Gotta go with the Padre on this one. Except in the few episodes where he actually joined in on jokes and told some of his own. I really enjoyed seeing him like that. Most the time he just smiled and laughed at the things that were said to him. I feel he could have been involved in more of the joking side without compromising his godly state.

I see how you pick Klinger though with his changing roles becoming company clerk. They could have had someone else like Igor take that role and keep Klinger going into crazier things. But who knows it could have gotten old doing that.

One of the worst lines though I think was when they were going around the room impersonating the Padre and Co. Potter puts on the hat and just says "jocularity jocularity" and just smiles. That to me was really awkward and made him seem lesser in the scene.
Best Care Anywhere