New Game: The Face is Familiar

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Zelmo Zale
Private

Re: New Game: The Face is Familiar

Post by Zelmo Zale »

No way in ten years I'd have guessed Smilin' Jack. Good call, Miss Ginger.

Fun game, Big Daddy...keep them coming.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Very good, half a point for Miss Ginger, and half a point for horsepill (you guys don't mind sharing, right?) I too was surprised to find out this bearded P.O.W. was Smilin' Jack: and as it turns out, Robert Hogan was a personal friend of both one of the creators of Hogan's Heroes, and director Gene Reynolds... and yes, the character of Colonel Robert E. Hogan was, indeed, named after him.

Alrighty, onto Round Five, and let's see how everybody does with this one:
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

That's the Brit who annoyed Hawkeye while visiting the wounded. He was also told not to give wounded men tea!

Miss Ginger

P.S. why do I have to share? I was afterall first!
Miss Ginger
Ranger
Corporal

Post by Ranger »

It's the wonderful Bernard Fox.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Obie wrote:P.S. why do I have to share? I was afterall first!
You correctly guessed who the M*A*S*H character was, but horsepill was the first one to identify the actor by name (Robert Hogan), which is why I felt the fair thing to do would be to give each of you half a point.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Half a point for Miss Ginger (for correctly identifying the character), and half a point to Ranger (for correctly guessing the identity of the actor), it is, indeed, Bernard Fox; in addition to being Major Derrick Ross on M*A*S*H, he was a semi-regular fixture on a number of classic series, including the quacky Dr. Bombay on Bewitched, gentleman's gentleman Malcolm Merriweather on The Andy Griffith Show, and in this case, the bumbling Royal Air Force officer Colonel Crittenden on Hogan's Heroes.

And now for Round Six, this is the hardest round yet, and I will be very much surprised if anyone can guess who this is:
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

Is it the guy who played Clayton Tippie? Don't know his name, so if it is him, I automatically lose, right?
Miss Ginger
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Looks like I stumped everybody this round! Alrighty then, since nobody got it this time, this fellow happens to be George Tyne, who actually never appeared on M*A*S*H, BUT, he DID DIRECT a number of episodes, including my personal favorite, "Your Hit Parade" (6x19). :P :P :P

Okay, that was a dirty trick I know, I apologize, I won't do that again.

And so, now time for Round Seven, this one might still be a little tricky, we'll see:
Zelmo Zale
Private

Post by Zelmo Zale »

You've got me by the eustachian tubes, but I think that is Bruce Kirby.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Nope, sorry, not Bruce Kirby. And since nobody else has taken a guess, nobody wins this round. The fellow in this shot is Buck Young, who made a small number of guest appearances on M*A*S*H, one of which, was as the infamous O'Brien the chopper pilot, who, like Sparky, was refered to quite often (particularly the earlier seasons), but was actually seen only once. Another memorable guest spot of his was the MP to whom Father Mulcahy asked to handle the situation between Frank and Klinger in "Dear Dad" (1x12).

Well, if you guys had trouble with the previous round, this round might be a little trickier, but let's see how you guys do with Round Eight:
horsepill
Private

Post by horsepill »

The man on the right is Jack Riley. I remember him most from The Bob Newhart Show. He was in the episode "Chief Surgeon Who?"

I sort of recognize the other fellow, but can't recall the episode he was in. I think he played a general.

With the previous picture, that was a toughy. All I could think of was one of the guys who played Margaret's husband Donald, but it didn't turn out to be either of them.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

You got it horsepill, the fellow on the right is indeed character actor, Jack Riley, and he was in "Chief Surgeon Who?" (1x04), where he originated the role of Captain Kaplan, the camp dentist, for only one episode... they really should have kept him though, because the other Kaplan was annoying as hell.

Alrighty folks, ready for Round Nine?
fogger
Private

Post by fogger »

This looks like a young Zelmo Zale (Johnny Haymer).
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

You got it fogger, this casually-dressed general (that's right, general), is none other than Zelmo Zale himself, Johnny Haymer!

Well, that was fun, wasn't it? I'll have to come up with another kind of game like this soon.
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

Well, we all like poker.
Miss Ginger