Which (If Any) Episodes Make You Cry?

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
GrapeNehi
Private

Which (If Any) Episodes Make You Cry?

Post by GrapeNehi »

I was only 8 years old when the last episode of M*A*S*H was aired on CBS. I cried and cried because from the ages of 5-8, I had watched all of M*A*S*H in syndication as well as the weekly evening episodes. After this, I continued to watch the episodes in syndication off an on over the years. It's a big part of my childhood.

I'd probably cry again if I watched the finale. But just the other evening I watched "Abyssinia, Henry." I found myself crying. How many times have I watched that episode, and I still tear up?
General Hammond: "Do you know what this star means?"
Hawkeye: "You're Tinkerbell!"
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: Which (If Any) Episodes Make You Cry?

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Definitely GFA chokes me up everytime, especially Hawkeye and B.J.'s final goodbye, really makes me hope and wish they did indeed see each other in the states again.

"Good-bye, Radar, Part 2" (8x05) made me weepy the first time I saw it.

I think I was too stunned by "Abyssinia, Henry" (3x24) the first time I saw it to really let out any kind of an emotional response.
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

I get a little choked up when "Oh, How We Danced" comes on. I can relate to BJ in that episode. It's tough being in a completely foreign place and away from your family for months. I've been there and done that. I also get a little choked up when in "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" they are all saying their "see ya's". That was a goodbye for the fans too. Lucky for me, I can put Season One, Disk One right back into the DVD player.
theprofromdover
Private

Post by theprofromdover »

GFA, for sure. "Goodbye Radar," "Old Soldiers"
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Big Daddy O'Reilly wrote:Definitely GFA chokes me up everytime, especially Hawkeye and B.J.'s final goodbye, really makes me hope and wish they did indeed see each other in the states again.

"Good-bye, Radar, Part 2" (8x05) made me weepy the first time I saw it.

I think I was too stunned by "Abyssinia, Henry" (3x24) the first time I saw it to really let out any kind of an emotional response.

I agree just add Old Soldiers and that's my list. I've always had a hard time with change, The first time I saw GFA I guess I put myself in their shoes and couldn't imagine how they felt leaving....knowing they probably will never see each other ever again. They went through so much for so long, I know how much they hated being at war but they were all so close it's hard to imagine leaving all that behind. I think that's why Old Soldiers got to me so much thinking about getting old and losing close friends that ment so much.
Best Care Anywhere
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

I can honestly say the series has never made me cry.
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

GFA brought a tear to my eye. The scene where they are all in the mess and talking about what they planned to do when they get back home. Some of the nurses comments were quite poignant.
Miss Ginger
Aralvar
Private

Post by Aralvar »

None that I actually start crying at, but I started to tear up when I saw that episode where that laundry man takes Colonel Potter's horse to relive his cavalry days, I forgot the name of the episode. And of course there's GFA.
Eric
Private

Post by Eric »

The last scene in GFA, seeing "Goodbye" written out, really gets me. "Abyssinia, Henry" does as well. The final scene in the OR. "Old Soldiers" is the other. Harry Morgan was brilliant in that episode.
Eric
LutherRizzo
Private

Post by LutherRizzo »

The name of the episode where the Korean ex-cavalry officer-turned-laundryman took Sophie was season 7's "The Price"...

Most of the episodes from season 8 on tugged on the emotions a little more than in previous seasons. Ones in particular I liked were:

"Letters" (season 9) - Winchester writes a very heart-felt letter to the young girl who sent a leaf from New England. Also, Hawkeye's response to Ronnie's letter that said the MASH doctors only make soldiers better so they can go out and get killed. And, the when the doctor from the mission voiced a prayer before they began operating on the little girl who hit her head.

"Where There's a Will, There's a War" (season 10) - pretty much all of Hawk's statements paying tribute to his friends, but especially at the end when he decided to leave Erin Hunnicutt a list of all the soldiers that her daddy operated on and saved, so that she would one day better understand why he had to be gone those first years of her life.

Season 4: "The Kids", especially when BJ tells the story of Androcles. "Mail Call Again", when Radar cries at the end of seeing the film of his mother.

Season 8: "Yessir, That's Our Baby", when Potter, Hawk, BJ, and Charles said goodbye to the Amerasian baby before leaving her at the monastery. Then, the scene in the OR at the end.

BJ's breakdown in season 8's "Period of Adjustment"

Mulcahy's moving sermon in season 9's "Blood Brothers"...

When they turn the clock in "Death Takes a Holiday" so that the dead soldier's children won't remember Christmas as the day their father died...
Serenity427
Private

Post by Serenity427 »

Well, right off the bat, Abyssinia, Henry made me bawl like a baby. Then it was Fallen Idol. I think it was more so the fact that Hawkeye wasn't as great as Radar made him out to be, because in all honesty, I put Hawkeye on that same pedestal as well. Or the second part to Goodbye Radar. Even when he tasted the cake and made a face, that just made me laugh and cry at the same time. Or Period of Adjustment, where BJ broke down. Boy, that one really broke my heart. BJ was so strong, it just seemed like nothing would really break him. Or Oh How We Danced. What great lengths Hawkeye went through to get something that would really mean something to his dear friend. Or Who Knew? where Hawkeye professed his admiration and love for his comrades at the 4077th. Old Soldiers, as others pointed out, was a tear-jerker as well. I've never seen Potter so dignified or regal, as in that episode. That single episode made me want to find "Roses of Piccardy," the same song he was listening to, when that kid come in. Lots of good episodes. Lots.