Who Was Mentioned the Most After Their Departure?

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Who Was Mentioned the Most After Their Departure?

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Of the characters that ended up departing from the show, which of them were mentioned the most after their departure? Off the top of my head:

"Welcome to Korea, Part 1" (4x01) Is a given in mentioning both Trapper and Henry, Trapper being more of a surprise since we weren't aware he was going to live.
"Welcome to Korea, Part 2" (4x02) Trapper is only mentioned in the opening narration recapping his discharge and Hawkeye driving to Kempo to say goodbye.
"Change of Command" (4x03) Since Potter is the new commanding officer, Henry is mentioned throughout, including Hawkeye and B.J. turning the corner of the Swamp Frank used to sleep in into the "Henry Blake Memorial Bar".
"The Late Captain Pierce" (4x05) Hawkeye uses both Trapper and Henry as examples of how the wounded will keep coming no matter who isn't there at the 4077th anymore.
"The Kids" (4x09) Hawkeye introduces B.J. to Meg Cratty and informs her Trapper went home.
"Quo Vadis, Captain Chandler" (4x10) While not mentioned by name, Flagg refers to "the last commanding officer", which would have been Henry.
"Lt. Radar O'Reilly" (5x05) When Potter questions Radar's promotion, Hawkeye tries to throw him off the trail by suggesting that maybe Henry put him in for one.
"Fade Out, Fade In, Parts 1 and 2" (6x01/02) Has Frank there only in spirit as he goes bonkers in Tokyo, and later transfered home in Indiana and promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.
"Your Hit Parade" (6x19) Frank is SORT OF brought up when Charles says, "Margaret, let be frank...", to which Margaret replies with a stunned, "Frank?"
"Commander Pierce" (7x01) When the responsibility of commander starts to sink in and Hawkeye becomes something of a dictator, Margaret tells him, "If only Frank Burns could see you now."
"Our Finest Hour, Part 1 and 2" (7x04/05) Naturally remembers Trapper, Henry, and Frank in the flashbacks and clips.
"Hot Lips is Back in Town" (7x20) Margaret mentions Frank when she rambles on about how she's figured she never realized what she wanted to do with her life because she was blinded by all the men she had flings with.
"Good-bye, Radar, Part 2" (8x05) Radar finds the thermometer that Henry had given him as a parting gift.
"Period of Adjustment" (8x06) Deals with Radar in spirit very heavily, but it also reminds us that Potter had to adjust to taking over for Henry as commanding officer after people were so fond of him. B.J. also mentions how much he hates Trapper because he and Hawkeye used to be such good friends but now he's home.
"The Foresight Saga" (9x19) That's the one where the camp gets a letter from Radar right?
"Twas the Day After Christmas" (10x10) Does anyone else besides me get the feeling that B.J. and Kellye wearing those Jeep Caps was supposed to remind us that Radar is gone?
"As Time Goes By" (11x15) A personal item of Henry and Radar's is dropped into the time capsul, but Charles notes that nothing of Frank's was included.

Seems to me that Henry was mentioned the most after his departure, I guess probably because his had the most impact and everything.
Dear Sigmund
Private

Re: Who Was Mentioned the Most After Their Departure?

Post by Dear Sigmund »

yeah..gotta believe that Henry was mentioned the most.

radar/frank were mentioned every so often.

trapper i believe was only mentioned in 2 episodes, and one of them he was just named off with the others who had left (it was the tongue depressor episode)
"Right! Should I write "Wammo," sir? "
"Uh, no, no, it doesn't sound too G.I. Make it... "Socko."
BigT112
Private

Post by BigT112 »

You forgot about "Depressing News," Henry, Trapper, and Frank are all mentioned by Hawkeye in the O Club

Trapper is also mention by Hawkeye in the finale episode after BJ leaves without leaving a note.

The Season 11 episode "The Joker is Wild" I believe when BJ plays a joke on Hawkeye, Trapper is mentioned throughout the episode.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

And I almost forgot, I think "April Fools" (8x25) is where B.J. is finally fed up with how Hawkeye keeps going on and on about how great Trapper was and everything.
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

Here's a list of "character mentions" that I used to have at an old version of my site. Note that the episodes are listed randomly.

Trapper
"Change of Command"
"Welcome to Korea"
"Period of Adjustment"
"The Late Captain Pierce"
"Depressing News"
"Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen"
"The Joker Is Wild"
"The Kids"

Radar
"Period of Adjustment"
"As Time Goes By"
"The Foresight Saga"
"War Co-Respondent"
"Goodbye Cruel World"

Henry
"Period of Adjustment"
"The Late Captain Pierce"
"Depressing News"
"As Time Goes By"
"Lt Radar O'Reilly"
"Welcome to Korea"
"Some 38th Parallels"
"Dear Mildred"
"The Joker Is Wild"
"Goodbye Radar, Part II"
"Change of Command"

Frank
"Fade Out, Fade In"
"As Time Goes By"
"Commander Pierce"
"Comrades In Arms, Part II"
"Depressing News"
"Stars and Stripes"
"Your Hit Parade"
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

So it does look like Henry was mentioned the most after his departure, but it makes sense, since his was the most memorable (and most shocking); likewise, it makes sense Radar was mentioned the least, since he left closer to the end than the others.
TimFoust
Corporal

Post by TimFoust »

Just about Every Epidode after. The begining credits are just a loop. If you look real hard when the jeeps are coming down the hill with wounded you see hawkeye on the front jeep and you see the torso( they cut off the head) of trapper in the second jeep cause you can see part of the yellow shirt.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Now let's try a different approach: how many times have the replacement characters mentioned or brought up their predesessors, if ever, and who did so the most?

We know B.J., in his drunken rage in "Period of Adjustment" (8x06) goes off on both Radar and Trapper for having gone home, even though he knows he never met Trapper.

Potter, as I recall, mentioned Henry at least twice: "Change of Command" (4x03) is a given, however, going back to "Period of Adjustment", Mulcahy relates to Potter about how difficult Radar had it trying to adjust to his job as company clerk and that Henry had to take him under his wing and help him along for a while, reasoning that Klinger deserves the same courtesy; Potter realizes this, and finally gives Klinger a pep talk, remembering that he too had to adjust after having taken over for Henry.

Charles directly mentions Frank once, in noting that nothing of his was donated to Margaret's time capsul in "As Time Goes By" (11x15), then another time he brings up Frank's spirit, when he asks Margaret, "May I be frank?" to which Margaret responds, "'Frank'...?"