The Recycled Schoolhouse

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

The Recycled Schoolhouse

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

There was a building that was made to look like a bombed-out schoolhouse that got recycled a LOT during the show's run... moreso than I originally realized, in fact, here's a list of occasions I can think of off the top of my head:
  • "But Out, Part 2" (5x02): Potter decides to use it as the new main hospital for the 4077th after they had to bug out.
  • "Hawkeye Get Your Gun" (5x11): It's the Korean hospital Hawkeye and Potter "volunteer" to assist during a heavy deluge.
  • "The General's Practitioner" (5x21): IIRC, I believe this was used as the hut where Radar's buddy's baby-mama lived.
  • "Comrades in Arms, Parts 1 and 2" (6x13 and 14): It's the shack Hawkeye and Margaret seek shelter in when they're trapped behind enemy lines.
  • "Tea and Empathy" (6x18): It's an abandoned schoolhouse where Mulcahy and Klinger go to retrieve their stolen penicillin (which was hidden under the bell).
  • "Point of View" (7x11): Actually, it's not used as a location in this episode, but if you carefully, as Private Rich is airlifted to the 4077th, you can that the schoolhouse facade is actually on a dirt road that runs adjacent to the hospital.
  • "Out of Gas" (7x13): It's the headquarters of a trio of Korean blackmarketeers that Mulcahy apparently routinely did business with.
I'm sure there were other occasions, but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.