Another Have You Noticed

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
TimFoust
Corporal

Another Have You Noticed

Post by TimFoust »

They talk about the Nash Metropolitin many times though out the show. The Nash wasnt even made till October 1954, The Korean conflict ended in 53. So How did these people get a Nash Metropolitin, Especially when Radars Mothers New Boyfriend would take her to get snow cones.
Many times you see a model hanging in the office or the painting in the Officers Club of the Huey Helicopter. They were not even made during the time of the shows time line.
If you watch the start of Each episode, you will see in the background there are High Tension Lines on top of the hill and in one part there are antennas. During combat of these days these lines would be the first to be blown up. Especially that close to the front lines.

its the little things you see when you watch the show that makes you want to watch closer.

What Have You Seen that doesnt belong. :ugeek:
Chuck
Sergeant

Re: Another Have You Noticed

Post by Chuck »

Have you noticed that during the scenes where it's supposed to be really cold, you can't see the breath of the "frozen" cast? I've always thought the cast was actually very hot when filming the winter shots, having to wear winter clothing in warm weather. Similar, have you noticed that although it is dead winter, sometimes the trees in the background have not dropped their leaves? I was at Malibu Creek State Park last June...it was very hot! I like looking for the things that are not quite right.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Kind of like on Hogan's Heroes, it was supposed to be perpetual winter on that show, the Krauts were always in those heavy woolen German uniforms, Hogan and his men were walking around in sweaters and leather jackets, and caps and everything, yet all the trees are lush and green, you can hear birds chirping all the time, you hear crickets at night, the snow looks patchy and fake, and you can actually see the actors sweating from time to time.

But you know what else I've noticed? We got another Volunteer 'round these parts! What part of the state are you from Chuck?
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

You know, another thing I've noticed is that there is a "group" of interest in the show. For example, when Potter does his painting for Mildred the subjects include Mulcahy, Haweye, BJ, Margaret, Charles and Klinger. This little group of favorites show up at various other points in the show too. When Potter shared the bottle of wine because his fellow soldiers had passed, it's the same group. Now, I know why the producers did it, but it seems so odd...like the rest of the camp doesn't matter. What about the other characters? Igor is pretty funny. Goldman shows up quite a bit. There's a few other folks who make regular appearances on the show. I know they're the "staff", but it seems odd.
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

Yesterday, I was watching "Henry, Please Come Home." In that episode, Henry is wearing his dress uniform. He's also wearing a Purple Heart ribbon. Anybody know why?
mash4077fan
Private

Post by mash4077fan »

The episode "A War For All Seasons" always got me because its starts out with the end of 1950 and beginning of 1951 and goes through the year 1951. In some episodes with Henry Blake as c.o. you hear him mention 1951 a few times.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

mash4077fan wrote:The episode "A War For All Seasons" always got me because its starts out with the end of 1950 and beginning of 1951 and goes through the year 1951. In some episodes with Henry Blake as c.o. you hear him mention 1951 a few times.
Not just that even, some episodes with Henry are dated as late as 1952.
mash4077fan
Private

Post by mash4077fan »

In the episode, Ping Pong (5x16), Col Potter says to Hawkeye and B.J. "Doctors, in 16 months 3 weeks and 4 days, I expect to be standing on my patio back in Nebraska barbequing. Why are u wetting on my charcoal?"
In other episodes he says he is from Hannibal Missouri.
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

I was watching "The Party" and noticed another recycling of props. When they are coming back from the bug out location and reading the letters from home, notice they are supposed to be in different vehicles, but they're not. The ambulance they are all riding in has the same suspicious rust over the windshield. Being a Jeep owner, I'm also on the look out for the use of jeeps. You may see a jeep come in from a different unit which clearly says 4077 something, something on the bumper. Most of the time they seem to be pretty good at covering it with a simulated mud as not to identify it to a particular unit.
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

If you watch "The Winchester Tapes", notice when Col. Potter is painting Winchester's picture, the completed picture is visible from the back. You can see the picture of Winchester screaming before he ever gets angry. At times, you can see it from the front because of camera angles too.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Chuck wrote:If you watch "The Winchester Tapes", notice when Col. Potter is painting Winchester's picture, the completed picture is visible from the back. You can see the picture of Winchester screaming before he ever gets angry. At times, you can see it from the front because of camera angles too.
I'm too busy trying to figure out how it was that Charles's position from Potter's perspective was the right side of his face, yet when we look at the painting, it's clearly a 3/4 view of the left side of his face.
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

Just noticed this in “A Full Rich Day”...There's a scene where Trapper is working on a wounded soldier in the ER while the soldier's Lt looks on with a rifle. As the scene progresses and the camera starts to pan around, Trapper throws a blood soaked gauze at the gas passer (I assume not on purpose). The gauze hits the guy right in the face and he doesn't move.
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

Last night I was watching "White Gold" and noticed something odd about Hawkeye. Well, maybe I question his motives based on his actions in two episodes. Jumping ahead of "White Gold" to “Preventive Medicine”, Hawkeye decides to remove the appendix of Col. Lacy to get him off the line (because Col. Lacy is a HUGE supplier of wounded). So, under great protest from B.J., who calls it mutilation, Hawkeye does the surgery anyway. I can understand why Hawk does it, but it's still opening a healthy body in hopes of preventing more wounded. I think when Hawkeye sees that the wounded continue, despite taking Lacy out of the game, he sees and feels the futility of his actions. So, I think Hawkeye may have felt remorse for what he did. Now, let's go back to "White Gold". Here, Hawkeye performs the same useless surgery on Col. Flagg, but with the full support of his fellow doctor and friend (Trapper). In this case, his sole reason was to get Flagg off their backs and out of action so he would stop annoying them. There was even a bit of humor to the surgery. Am I the only one who sees the huge disparity in Hawkeye's attitude between the two surgeries in the two episodes?
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Well, keep in mind too, there were different writers and a different tone in the series between those two particular episodes: "White Gold" (3x23) was at the tail-end of the original sort of slapstick, almost silly era of the show, while "Preventative Medicine" (7x23) was towards the end of that transitional season that was neither as funny as the previous six, or as dramatic as the following four.

Another thing that's interesting too is, while Potter wasn't aware of what was going on as far as Hawkeye's appendectomy on Lacy, Henry was in on Flagg's, and even let Hawkeye and Trapper do it, like, "Yeah, that's a good idea guys..."

One thing I've noticed is that it seems like Radar gets crushes on different nurses rather easily... I mean there were three different plots involving him trying to vie for the affection of the "nurse of the week".
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

I guess it would be a lack of continuity between writers, but I think I would have paid more attention to a detail like that. Deep down, it kind of ruins part of that character for me...knowing once it was mutilation, then the other time it was a joke.
I've noticed that about Radar too. What else would a 19 year old do, I guess. He apparently has many to pick from, as it seems new nurses rotate in all the time, but they're never there for more than an episode. I would think the nurse rotation schedules would be the same as those of the doctors in that they might do 6 month or 12 month tours. Then again, they might rotate them out faster because they are women, but not likely. Some nurses were there almost the whole time, if not the entire time. Oh well, deployment rotation schedules for MASH units would be something to look into in the Army archives. I know in the Air Force we did 3 month, 6 month and 12 month deployments depending on the AOR...gender played no part in how long one would stay.