Who Is Your Least Favorite Character On Mash?

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
jmidnight
Private
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:36 pm

Re: Who Is Your Least Favorite Character On Mash?

Post by jmidnight » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:22 pm

J Fred Muggs wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:46 am
For me it would be Klinger. The character simply did not add much to the show. This fact was compounded by the character's lack of depth and Farr's lack of acting ability. Klinger did have his moments both comedic and dramatic, but they were few and far between...
Are you serious? Are we talking about the same Klinger? I wholeheartedly and emphatically disagree. Some of his antics provided a necessary comedic distraction, the character was as developed as any, and Jamie Farr was no better or worse an actor than anybody else. I know I would not enjoy the show as much if this character, with all his crazy antics was not part of it. I usually see no point in disagreeing with someone else's opinion, but how much did you expect a second-tier supporting character to be developed, and how many scene stealing gags did you expect?

User avatar
J Fred Muggs
Private
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:04 pm
Location: Uijeongbu

Re: Who Is Your Least Favorite Character On Mash?

Post by J Fred Muggs » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 am

jmidnight wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:22 pm
J Fred Muggs wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:46 am
For me it would be Klinger. The character simply did not add much to the show. This fact was compounded by the character's lack of depth and Farr's lack of acting ability. Klinger did have his moments both comedic and dramatic, but they were few and far between...
Are you serious? Are we talking about the same Klinger? I wholeheartedly and emphatically disagree. Some of his antics provided a necessary comedic distraction, the character was as developed as any, and Jamie Farr was no better or worse an actor than anybody else. I know I would not enjoy the show as much if this character, with all his crazy antics was not part of it. I usually see no point in disagreeing with someone else's opinion, but how much did you expect a second-tier supporting character to be developed, and how many scene stealing gags did you expect?
I LOVE MASH and all of the characters (including Klinger). I was simply answering the question with my personal opinion. But I maintain that Farr was not the best actor, and I disagree with your statement that "Jamie Farr was no better or worse an actor than anybody else".

Ferret Face
First Lieutenant
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Re: Who Is Your Least Favorite Character On Mash?

Post by Ferret Face » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Mine would be Frank. Though I will say that over the years, my opinion of him has changed a bit. First, I liked him as a good comedic foil to Hawkeye and Trapper/BJ. After a while, my appreciation for the character diminished as a direct result of my increasing love of Charles' character. Basically, "He's not Charles, and everything good about Charles, the opposite is true. He's one-dimensional, over-the-top, and was given very little, if any depth."

However, my opinion of him has picked up quite a bit recently, and I realized how unfair that assessment of the character was. Just because he was different from one character I love, it shouldn't take away from the qualities he does have. Even more so considering how different the show was during their respective eras. Frank did bring a lot of good humor to the show (greatly enhanced by Larry Linville's great acting). Plus I've picked up on more character depth than I had given him credit for (abusive father, lonely childhood with no friends, etc., which could easily explain how he turned out the way he did). I'd still have him as my least favorite (mainly because of how great the whole cast of characters were), but there's not nearly as big of a gap as there used to be.

In terms of the Trapper/BJ debate, I like them both, but I can easily see where some of the issues come from. I love the chemistry between Hawkeye and Trapper (and their respective actors). You can easily see how much fun they had together, and how much they lit up this otherwise miserable experience for each other. However, I do agree that the writers kind of neglected Trapper's character on its own, often relegating him to be Hawkeye's sidekick. And this made those rare moments where they did give him good material stand out more. "Kim" and "Radar's Report" are great examples of this.

On the other hand, BJ got a lot more material on his own, and some of it was really good IMO. The best examples being "Death Takes a Holiday," and "Oh, How We Danced." I also thought the side-story in "Bombshells" was pretty interesting. Though I'd be lying if I said they didn't go to the Peg and Erin story well a bit too often. For this reason, I can't help thinking I'd have preferred Trapper sticking around for the later seasons, where they fleshed out the characters more. He could have been a bit more dynamic character than BJ was. Though again, I loved both of them for what they were.

Keith1980
Private
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Who Is Your Least Favorite Character On Mash?

Post by Keith1980 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:30 pm

I dont know that i have a least favorite. But i do think the nurse kelly episode about Hawkeye not dating her was ok but not anything special and kinda pointless. Nurse Kelly was an ok character i just don't think she needed an episode about her. Especially since nothing came of it.

I would of liked to have seen Margret maybe get closer to some of her nurses tho. She had a great friendship with an old friend who was an alcoholic. That showed who Margaret was. I think that if Margaret got closer more and friendlier to some of the nurses after that it would of made episodes like the nurse kelly one more special.

Panther7
Private
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 pm

Re: Who Is Your Least Favorite Character On Mash?

Post by Panther7 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:32 pm

I would say Father Mulcahy, or actually maybe more William Christopher, I just didn't like his acting style, it always reminded me of a High School Play

Sschind
Private
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: Who Is Your Least Favorite Character On Mash?

Post by Sschind » Sat May 11, 2019 6:17 pm

My least favorite character without a doubt, in fact the only character I don't like, is Hawkeye. I watch the entire series at least once a year and the downside to binge watching any show is that if there is a particular character that just irritates the heck out of you you get an overdose and it can affect your enjoyment of the show. I just can't stand his holier than thou attitude. Everyone else is in the same boat but when he breaks down its poor poor Hawkeye. He acts like he is superman and no one can do what he does. He thinks he is the only one who can save every patient and when he loses one everyone falls all over themselves consoleing them.

I know its an unpopular choice and he is among many peoples favorites but I just don't like him.

User avatar
JocularityGirl
Corporal
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 pm

Re: Who Is Your Least Favorite Character On Mash?

Post by JocularityGirl » Tue May 14, 2019 5:24 pm

My least favorite character is Margaret Houlihan, I just don't like her man-chasing. Absolutely no offense meant towards Loretta Swit as an actress, though. My favorite character on the show is Father Mulcahy and William Christopher was also a good man in his personal life.
Father Mulcahy: "A faith of convience is a hollow faith."

jmidnight
Private
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:36 pm

Re: Who Is Your Least Favorite Character On Mash?

Post by jmidnight » Sun May 19, 2019 8:21 pm

J Fred Muggs wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 am
jmidnight wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:22 pm
J Fred Muggs wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:46 am
For me it would be Klinger. The character simply did not add much to the show. This fact was compounded by the character's lack of depth and Farr's lack of acting ability. Klinger did have his moments both comedic and dramatic, but they were few and far between...
Are you serious? Are we talking about the same Klinger? I wholeheartedly and emphatically disagree. Some of his antics provided a necessary comedic distraction, the character was as developed as any, and Jamie Farr was no better or worse an actor than anybody else. I know I would not enjoy the show as much if this character, with all his crazy antics was not part of it. I usually see no point in disagreeing with someone else's opinion, but how much did you expect a second-tier supporting character to be developed, and how many scene stealing gags did you expect?
I LOVE MASH and all of the characters (including Klinger). I was simply answering the question with my personal opinion. But I maintain that Farr was not the best actor, and I disagree with your statement that "Jamie Farr was no better or worse an actor than anybody else".
Ok, I guess. I think Jamie Farr had impeccable comic timing as far as I'm concerned. I wonder we're missing? You certainly don't consider Frank Burns to be a better character?

Post Reply