Was the Song “Again” Used in an Episode of M*A*S*H?

Here’s another M*A*S*H music mystery. Ted is certain he heard the 1949 song “Again” in an episode of M*A*S*H but can’t identify the episode. Here’s his first e-mail:

I have been a huge fan of MASH for years and am sure that the song “Again” (recorded by Doris Day/ Vic Damone et al in ’49) was used in at least one episode. Can anyone possibly confirm and let me know which recording was used.

If you’re not familiar with the song, listen to Doris Day’s version:

(Learn more about “Again” at Wikipedia.)

Ted later sent a second e-mail with additional information:

I would be delighted if anyone could help on this one – I am certain that the song was used in at least one episode and I am pretty sure the version was by a vocal group. The only documented recording I have located which fits the time frame of the conflict is by the 4 Freshmen so in the absence of anything else I will assume this version. My alternative is to binge watch all episodes again until I find it – enjoyable though this would be, it may put too great a strain on my marriage.

I don’t recall hearing the song at any point over the past five years, which is how long it took me to review all 251 episodes of M*A*S*H. Can anyone help?

• Crabapple Cove says:

Is it possibly song by the USO group in “Showtime”?

I think you’re right, Crabapple. This song was definitely sung by the Miller Sisters in ‘Showtime.’

• zoot says:

Yes it is “Again” which is sung by the “Miller Sisters” about 6-7 minutes into the episode. An interesting note, Lionel Newman is credited as Musical Supervisor for this episode… Newman composed the music for “Again” (lyrics by Dorcas Cochran).

However, “Again” was used as background music for a scene in the officers’ club in a later MASH episode. Can anyone identify this episode by name or season/episode number?

• zoot says:

I took a wild guess about “Hey Look Me Over” (season 11, episode 1) and did indeed find that a brief instrumental version of “Again” is playing on the jukebox when Hawkeye dances with Nurse Kelley in the O-Club. I have researched many covers of this song and have not found the version played here. I suspect that this brief interlude was written specifically for this episode. Once again, Lionel Newman was Musical Supervisor.

• Karen Brooks says:

It was played on the juke box in the officer’s club.

Just watched this episode, painfully as I’m not a fan of it, but Sue is right. The Miller Sisters sing it about 7 minutes into the episode, mixed with Hawkeye and Mulcahy talking about how he doesn’t see the end result of his work in the mess hall.

• Ferret Face says:

I actually really like the episode itself, but can easily understand why you feel that way. The USO aspect of it seemed like a bad attempt at connecting the stories together, and felt more like filler. But I thought the main parts of the episode were all really enjoyable. It probably would have been better as another “Dear” episode, though I imagine they wouldn’t want to go to that well a third time in the season, especially since it’d probably be a “Dear Dad” episode, rather than mixing it up like in season 4.

Yea the individual segments aren’t too bad. Just the stand up comedy stuff (which isn’t anywhere near as bad as “That’s Show Biz”) and all the USO singing that I find a bit annoying. I appreciate that it’s something different than the average episode, but still pretty much always skip it.

• Nurse Sheila says:

I kinda like that “Showtime” episode, and this song too. That USO and the Miller sisters idea wasn’t bad, but somehow I couldn’t connect it with Henry and his wife having another child. I’ve been always a music fan, and this song stuck with me more, than the “filler” conversations goin on during the show. Maybe that’s why I recognised it from this video. From season one I rather skip “Cease fire”, to me that’s annoying…

• Michael Battaglia says:

I found it hard to believe that Henry and his wife had another baby. I mean how long was he in Korea. In any event I saw part two of the episode and at the end of the episode the Miller Sisters Sang. I don’t remember the name of it but I wasn’t sure if it was them. In the credits they listed the three members of the group, but I only saw the first one. I believe it was Mary King. Now I was raised on 30’s & 40’s music. My father was a jazz guitarist for the Russ Morgan band. So I remember so many of the groups from back then. So tell me, were they the Miller Sisters, and did they sing the episode ending song.

• Larry C Hines says:

What was the name of the song that Hawkeye and Kelley danced to as the episode ended in “Hey, look me over”?