M*A*S*H in HD (and Widescreen)

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
RJ
General of the Army

M*A*S*H in HD (and Widescreen)

Post by RJ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:23 pm

I thought I'd start a topic here to discuss M*A*S*H in HD and widescreen on Hulu. I wrote about this at my blog a few weeks ago.

I don't subcribe to Hulu, so I haven't seen any of the newly remastered episodes. As I've said elsewhere, I'm happy about the new HD transfers. I don't like the episodes being cropped to widescreen.

Thoughts?

kkt
Sergeant

Re: M*A*S*H in HD (and Widescreen)

Post by kkt » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:13 pm

I agree. Film, TV, etc., should be left in the original aspect ratio. MASH was made prior to planning for material to be released in wide format, but even material made later, the idea that a director could frame shots to look good in two different aspect ratios at the same time is a pipe dream. If it looks good in a square frame, there will be a whole lot of nothing going on in the outsides of the frame if it's released wide-screen.

Captain Tuttle
Corporal

Re: M*A*S*H in HD (and Widescreen)

Post by Captain Tuttle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:14 am

I generally feel that movies and TV shows should be left in their original aspect ratio.

However going from TV's original 4:3 (133:1) to 16:9 (1.78:1) isn't a major step. It doesn't add a lot to the sides. 16:9 isn't nearly as wide as 2.35:1 Cinamascope. In fact Cinamascope movies are still letter boxed on 16:9 TV's. I recently saw an episode of the Odd Couple on MeTV that was converted to 16:9. I quickly put on a DVD of the same episode in 4:3 and and both the 4:3 and the 16:9 versions had the same head and foot room. There was just a bit more to the left and right sides in 16:9. When shows were cropped for 4:3 not all of the film frame was used so that additional space on the sides is available to make 16:9 versions. I know it's not how these old shows originally looked but it eliminates having to see the black bars on the sides and I don't feel the extra width changes the look of the show much.

I have the original 1983 mini series 'V' on DVD. It's cropped into 16:9 and doesn't take away from it's original look and feel at all.

Going to 16:9 doesn't remove any of the image from the top or bottom, it adds extra image from the original film frame to the sides.

Well I'm glad these shows are being remastered in HD. They've needed to be cleaned up a bit.