Things That I've Noticed In MASH

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Doug
Private

Things That I've Noticed In MASH

Post by Doug » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 pm

I'm new on this board, but I've noticed a few things in MASH--

1.) Early on, I think just in the first season, whenever a General showed up, the music was a fanfare based on the theme. Reminds of the various themes they had on Hogan's Heroes when Burkhalter, Hochstetter, or a visiting bigwig showed up at Stalag 13.

2.) Why did the showrunners bring on characters from the novel/film (Spearchucker, Ugly John, Dish, and Knocko), plus a couple of new ones (Ginger Baker, Margie Cutler) in the first season, then remove them?

3.) Same with Leslie Scorch (Henry's more-or-less steady girlfriend), and was she in the movie?

4,) Did anyone notice that Charles' name is a reference to Boston--Charles (River) Emerson (a college) Winchester (a suburb)?

Okay, discuss.

Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: Things That I've Noticed In MASH

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:06 pm

In regards to #2 and #3, it was felt that one of the problems with the first season was there were far too many minor characters to write for, which is why they dropped all of them, except for Klinger since he was such a hit, and Father Mulcahy since he proved to be a vital part of the cast.