M*A*S*H Home Towns

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
JWilliamCupp
Private

M*A*S*H Home Towns

Post by JWilliamCupp »

Does anyone know of a complete listing of the home towns of the personnel assigned to the 4077th? Here is a list i have put together:

Hawkeye Pierce Crabapple Cove, Maine
Trapper John McIntyre
BJ Honicutt Mill Valley, California
Lt. Col. Henry Blake Bloomington, Illinois
Col. Sherm Potter Hannibal, Missouri
Radar O'Reilly Ottumwa, Iowa
Max Q. Klinger Toledo, Ohio
Maj Margaret Houlihan Ft. Dix, New Jersey
Maj. Frank Burns Fort Wayne, Indiana
Charles Winchester Boston, Massachusetts
Fr. Patrick Mulcahy Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Nurse Kellye Nakahara Honolulu, Hawaii
Sgt. Elmo Zale Brooklyn, New York
Sgt. Luther Rizzo Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Pvt. Igor Stravinski
Maj Sydney Freeman
Capt Jonathan S Tuttle Battle Creek Michigan

Anyone who can contribute those which are missing, please do so. If there's a list already around somewhere, please let me know. Note that I'm not trying to get every town mentioned by every patient who passes through, just the regularly assigned members of M*A*S*H 4077.

- Bill
cool ASCII art ship missing here
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: M*A*S*H Home Towns

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Trapper is supposedly from Boston as well. I think it may have been noted in either the novel and/or movie, but the only time Trapper ever mentioned Boston on the show was when he said it's where he interned.
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

I think you've covered just about everyone. Don't some of the nurses or enlisted men talk about going home during the final dinner in "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen"? I can't recall off the top of my head.
JWilliamCupp
Private

Post by JWilliamCupp »

Yes, I think one or two mention returning to their hometowns in "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen." However, this is all I've been able to put together. If anyone can add to the list, please do!
cool ASCII art ship missing here
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

I forgot, yeah, I think Bigelow mentions Chicago a couple of times in the series, so. . . .

Lt. Peggy Bigelow - Chicago, Illinois

And I do believe that Nurse Able (the one played by Mike Farrell's then-wife, Judy) mentioned being from Oklahoma.
BeccaLeo1972
Private

Post by BeccaLeo1972 »

I believe it was Lt. Sarah Bigelow. One of the nurses called her Sarah but don't recall the episode.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

In "I Love and War," she introduces herself as Peggy.
BeccaLeo1972
Private

Post by BeccaLeo1972 »

Thanks Big Daddy O'Reilly. It must've been another nurse i heard being called Sarah. Peggy would've been short for Margaret or Marjorie.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Sarah is a really significant name for me, so I would remember if I ever heard it uttered on M*A*S*H . . . and I don't.
Goldman
Private

Post by Goldman »

In the episode "Hot Lips Is Back In Town", doesn't Lt. Nugent (the object of Radar's obsession) mention she is from Beaver Falls, PA, and either Bigelow or Baker says that she's from Harrisburg, PA? Or do I have all of that backwards?
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Actually, you're right, I had forgotten about that: Nugent was from Harrisburg, Bigelow said she was from Beaver Falls, which contradicts a previous episode ("Images," I think) where she says she's from Chicago. Well, I suppose we can't really go by that, because she said she worked in Chicago, she didn't necessarily say she was from Chicago. Same with Trapper - at least on the series, he mentions he interned in Boston, but never actually said he was from Boston; same with Mulcahy - he said he studied in a seminary in Philadelphia, but never actually said that's where he was from.
kkt
Sergeant

Post by kkt »

Maj. Houlihan was an army brat. She didn't really have a home town. Yes, she was at Fort Bliss some of the time, but moved around frequently.
kkt
Sergeant

Post by kkt »

Big Daddy O'Reilly wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:41 pm Sarah is a really significant name for me, so I would remember if I ever heard it uttered on M*A*S*H . . . and I don't.
There was a Sarah. Sarah Miller was one of the USO troop who got stranded at the 4077 in "That's Showbiz". The singer who sang Cockles and Muscles Alive, Alive O.