Books

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
davidrobinson
Private

Books

Post by davidrobinson »

Hi,

I'm just starting to look at collection Books related to MASH. I have the novels, and a couple of other related items. the Alan Alda book and Secrets Of The MASH Mess

Is their a list anywhere that provides all the titles, and eventually maybe autobiographies?

David
RJ
General of the Army

Re: Books

Post by RJ »

Here's a list I've put together. I think it's complete. However, I have a vague recollection of once seeing a thin hardcover book about M*A*S*H with a green cover that I think was aimed at kids. But I can't find any trace of it online. My list does not include the Hooker/Butterworth novels.

Books About the TV Show

All About M*A*S*H - Peggy Herz (1974)
M*A*S*H: The Exclusive, Inside Story of TV's Most Popular Show - David S. Reiss (1980; updated 1983)
The Last Days of MASH - Alan Alda & Arlene Alda (1984)
The Complete Book of M*A*S*H - Suzy Kalter (1984)
Watching M*A*S*H, Watching America - James H. Wittebols (1998)
M*A*S*H (TV Milestones Series) - David Scott Diffrient (2008)
TV's M*A*S*H: The Ultimate Guide Book - Ed Solomonson & Mark O'Neill (2009)
M*A*S*H FAQ: Everything Left to Know About the Best Care Anywhere - Dale Sherman (2016)

Other M*A*S*H-Related Books

M*A*S*H: The First Five Years, 1972-1977 - Jed Clauss (1977)*
M*A*S*H: Binding Up the Wounds - Michael R. Harris, Carl H. Scheele, Elsa M. Bruton (1983)**
M*A*S*H Trivia: The Unofficial Quiz Book - George St. John (1983)
M*A*S*H: The Official 4077 Quiz Manual - Paul Bertling (1984)

*I'm sure what this is but I think it's just an episode guide
**Souvenir booklet from the 1983-1984 M*A*S*H Smithsonian exhibition

Autobiographies

Jamie Farr - Just Farr Fun (1994)
Larry Gelbart - Laughing Matters: On Writing M*A*S*H, Tootsie, Oh, God!, and a Few Other Funny Things (1998)
Alan Alda - Never Have Your Dog Stuff and Other Things I've Learned (2006)
Alan Alda - Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself (2008)
Mike Farrell - Just Call Me Mike: A Journey to Actor and Activist (2008)
Mike Farrell - Of Mule and Man (2009)
Gary Burghoff - Gary Burghoff: To M*A*S*H and Back, My Life in Poems and Songs (That Nobody Wanted to Publish) (2009)

Other Books by the Cast

Loretta Swit - A Needlepoint Scrapbook (1986)
William Christopher and Barbara Christopher - Mixed Blessings (1989)
Jeff Maxwell - The Secrets of the M*A*S*H Mess: The Lost Recipes of Private Igor (1997)
Loretta Swit - SwitHeart: The Watecolour Artistry & Animal Activism of Loretta Swit (2017)
davidrobinson
Private

Post by davidrobinson »

Thanks RJ.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for :)
JocularityGirl
Corporal

Post by JocularityGirl »

These are the books I own:
1. The Complete Book of Mash by Suzy Kalter
I got it for my last b-day, slowly reading through all the cast's pages. I love this book for how it lets each member of the cast tell thier side of the story.
2. Secrets of the MASH Mess by Jeff Maxwell.
I got this book for Christmas. I've tried several recipes and loved them. If they were served food like this, I don't know why they all were complaining. :lol:
3. Mixed Blessings by William and Barbara Christopher.
I got this one Christmas before last. Simply one of the best nonfiction books I have ever read. Mr. and Mrs. Christopher's journey with their son with Autism reminded me so much of how my parents fought for me and have never given up on me, no matter what doctors have said.
Thanks, Mom and Dad, for all you do. Love you.
Father Mulcahy: "A faith of convience is a hollow faith."