A Sad Day for all M*A*S*Hers...

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

A Sad Day for all M*A*S*Hers...

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

Harry Morgan died.

Unfortunately, for real this time... apparently he died just this morning at the age of 96 after struggling with pneumonia.

I'm so sad about this, I mean you never even really thought about it, y'know? Kind of like Abe Vigoda, you think he'll live forever, and you want him to, but then you have to remind yourself of what Margaret once told Frank: "Everybody has to die sometime".

I remember when I first watched M*A*S*H over six years ago, I had trouble adjusting to Potter at first, because Henry had endeared himself as such a funny, bumbling, and sympathetic character, then once he died, in came firm, strict, by-the-book Potter who seemed out of place on a comedy show, but then I slowly realized that he was a humorous character as well, whereas Henry was visually funny, Potter was verbally funny with a dry sense of cereberal humor, and like Henry before him, Potter became an endearing character as well, but not like a funny, bumbling, sympathetic character, but as a loving and caring father-figure.

I still wish he wasn't dead, but he is, and there's nothing we can do to bring him back to life, but we can continue to keep his legacy alive by remembering him, not just as Colonel Potter, but through all the works he's done during his impressive acting career.
Ranger
Corporal

Re: A Sad Day for all M*A*S*Hers...

Post by Ranger »

Very sad news indeed, despite his age and the fact that he wasn't in the best of health, the news has still shocked me. Nice sentiments too BDOR.

I always liked Potter as a character, he reminded me of my year head at school. I don't know what else to say other than Rest in Piece and thank you.
townsbg
Sergeant

Post by townsbg »

Rats. :(
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

I thought for sure he would make it to 100. But 96 is still a darn good run.
Mash4Ever
Sergeant

Post by Mash4Ever »

RIP Harry Morgan!
From A Big Alan Alda Wayne Rogers Mash Fan Kirsten

RIP Harry Morgan 1915-2011