Who do you like more.....

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
townsbg
Sergeant

Who do you like more.....

Post by townsbg »

Who do you like more between the 2 and why?

Trapper or BJ?

Frank or Charles?

Blake or Potter?
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: Who do you like more.....

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I'm in the minority when it comes to Trapper and B.J., but I prefer B.J., of the two, he was a more well-rounded and fully fleshed out character, he had just finished residency and was drafted, so we got to see sort of how he handled being thrown into a war and seeing Hawkeye take him under his wings, and actually see their friendship develop and strengthen over the years. They had that opposites-attract Ernie and Bert friendship, it was a see-saw, and always interesting because they would fight about their differences, but at the end of the day, they were still the best of friends, whereas Trapper was far too similar to Hawkeye personality-wise, they were like a couple of frat boys with a common goal (tormenting Frank), their friendship was too level, and would've gotten boring over time. And I also like that B.J., despite wrestling with temptation on two occasions, was a loving and faithful husband and daughter; Trapper did seem like a genuinely loving father, just not a loving and faithful husband.

Frank and Charles I like them both for different reasons, and can usually only tolerate both of them in moderation, considering they're easily two of the most unlikable characters from the show, what with Frank being a weasely twerp who always brings misfortune on himself, and Charles being the egotistical snob who thought he was better than everyone else in camp; but they both also had their strong points... Frank, you can't help but love to hate him, and the misfortune he brings on himself is always good for a laugh, the the dynamics Charles had with his fellow Swamprats was always interesting because Hawkeye and B.J. knew they couldn't break him as easily as Frank, yet they still tried, and sometimes succeeded in pulling the wool over his eyes.

The same can be said for Henry and Potter, though in all honesty, I like Potter as the better commanding officer, he was older, had more experience, yet he was genial and caring, he was more than a commanding officer, he really was like a grandfather to everyone in camp, especially Radar since Radar didn't like him at first after the death of Henry. While Henry wasn't necessarily a good commanding officer, he was a really funny character, and that made him enjoyable, especially when he let his hair down to be one of the boys, or whenever he got drunk.
townsbg
Sergeant

Post by townsbg »

I also like BJ better than Trapper and I think that you hit it right on the head.

I could never stand Frank (at all) so Charles was a site for sore eyes even given his faults. The only good thing about Frank was his gullibility. The worst thing about him was his desire to become dictator/czar/CO.

I think it's a toss up between Potter and Blake. Blake was a better friend and quite a pal who just stayed back until needed but Potter is a better, more effective, CO. Frank should have been taken notes from him. I was so glad that they put Potter in the line up instead of leaving Frank in charge because that would have been cruel and unusual punishment. :lol:
TrapperJoe
Corporal

Post by TrapperJoe »

I thought I was in the minority liking Trapper more than B.J., it seems most people on here dig B.J. more.

The only character I genuinely don't like is Frank, which goes without saying. There's just small things about B.J. that bother me. It always seemed like B.J. had this air about him like he thought he was a little better than Hawkeye. It's different than Charles' upper class attitude, like B.J. tried real hard to be funnier than Hawkeye and thought of himself in a better light by doing things differently than Hawkeye. An example is in the episode "Bottom's Up" where B.J. and Hawkeye play a joke on Charles, but Hawkeye solely takes the blame, then B.J. plays more jokes on Charles, only to have Hawkeye get the blame each time. B.J. eventually got what was coming to him, but there was just something I didn't like about what he did. Horsing around and practical joking is no problem, but like Hawkeye said, I think B.J. tries to spite him much of the time, and to stick Charles in the middle of it was unfair. Just like in "The Joker Is Wild" it seemed like it was all out of spite. Hawkeye was right, B.J.'s jokes were mediocre, yeah he got a little laugh here and there, but you don't mess with the master because he'll always do you one better, and Hawkeye got B.J. perfectly at the end. Also in the episode "Rally Round The Flagg, Boys" it seems like B.J. thought he was better because he was "more rational" than Hawkeye, but he was very wrong with what happened later in that episode.

I agree with Big Daddy totally, they were able to do more with B.J. and the development of his character and his friendship with Hawkeye. Thinking about it over time, it seems like Trapper and Hawkeyes friendship was more like best friends. They got along very well, much in common, didn't argue much at all, only seldomly. B.J. and Hawkeye were more like brothers. They got on each others nerves something awful, fought and avoided each other quite a bit. In the end though they never stopped caring about each other and always watched each others back. I'm just sentimental for the early years, for being stuck in a war zone, they usually had a great time, and throw in Henry, those are the guys I'd want to be hanging with if I was in Korea. If I was stuck with B.J. and Charles, I'd be moving out of the Swamp more than Hawkeye did. :P That being said, I still do really like B.J.s character and the stories they told. He had some great moments, such as "Bombshells" which was one of my favorite episodes from the later seasons. I also love in "Change Of Command" when B.J. suggested to name the bar The Henry Blake memorial bar.

I'd take Charles ANY day of the week over Frank. I could even tolerate Charles' horn playing more than a few minutes of Frank. Charles at least had some endearing qualities, was a skilled surgeon and was a genuine caring person underneath. Frank was a despicable person and had nothing positive about his personality. I really hate the way he treated people - the Korean locals, Father Mulcahy, Klinger and especially Radar. I know its that character your meant to hate, but they REALLY succeeded in that sense.

I'd have to flip a coin for Blake and Potter. I enjoy both of them pretty equally, they both have enjoyable qualities and were good people. Blake was a good guy, hilarious, a very skilled surgeon, but thrown into the command position unexpectedly and quickly. He fit in more with Hawkeye and Trapper, not with high ranking brass. He did the best he could in his position, and he did a good job. Potter was a more natural leader and a great commanding officer. He could be a little ornery and rough around the edges, but he was very wise, very funny and a genuine caring man.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Keep in mind though, we're just a small percentage of a huge fandom, lol. I mean, I too have noticed that it seems like more people at this particular forum prefer B.J. to Trapper, but I think most things considered, people who do prefer B.J. are a minority in the entire fandom. I hear/ read the same complaints about him all the time: too whiney about Peggy and Erin, too self-righteous (especially once he grew the mustache), too bitter, etc.

When I think about, really think about, I think it kind of makes sense though: this was his first war, and he was a young man studying to be a doctor, who ended up being thrown into the war, he didn't know what to expect, and I can see the longer he's been separated from his family (and knowing his little girl is growing up without him), the more bitter he could become as time goes by. I forget what episode it was, but I remember a semi-sarcastic line he had in a later episode where he said, "I had a LOT of things we I got here... hope, faith, sanity, a liver..."
Jeeter
Sergeant

Post by Jeeter »

If we're not talking character development, Trapper wins over B.J. He was just... more fun to be around. I don't like the episodes where B.J. has drama, they just aren't that good. I can watch the episodes with Hawk or Margaret's drama, but with B.J. they just bother me. But what made me appreciate B.J. (or Mike Farrell) was that he got to develop his friendship with Hawkeye and the camp. To Hawkeye, Trapper was just a buddy. With B.J., they were best friends.

Frank and Charles were such different characters that I can't really pick one or the other. Frank was way out there in terms of his patriotism and Regular Army ways. Charles was respectable in a sense but still had that big ego that bothered the Swamp members. Frank's stupidity was hilarious, Charles' wit was great. They each had their own thing going on and I can't pick between which one I like more. However, I do like seasons 1-3 and Frank is a huge part of the reason why I do.

I prefer the chemistry between McLean and Gary which really made me prefer Henry over Potter. They had such a bond that you could easily see (especially during Abyssinia, Henry where McLean actually improvised the hug at the chopper pad). If that's not acting chemistry, I don't know what is.

But as a M*A*S*H fan, I've come to appreciate every character's bad sides. (Even B.J.'s)
townsbg
Sergeant

Post by townsbg »

Alright Frank's stupidity was "ok" and really it (as well as his patriotism) where his only re-deeming characteristics but those weren't enough to make me like him. I hated the way he treated others by throwing the book at them especially Blake (since he was his CO). Also his and Margret's steamy, not so secret, affair was particularly distasteful to me (I do like that they thought that no one knew :lol:). I like the post-Frank Margaret so much more though. Actually I like the seasons after him better than the ones with him in them. :roll: Granted there where a lot of Charles' traits that I didn't like and over-all he wasn't very likable but at least I could stand him. I think that him for Frank was a very good trade. He had a lot of good moments as well.
Jeeter
Sergeant

Post by Jeeter »

townsbg wrote:Alright Frank's stupidity was "ok" and really it (as well as his patriotism) where his only re-deeming characteristics but those weren't enough to make me like him. I hated the way he treated others by throwing the book at them especially Blake (since he was his CO). Also his and Margret's steamy, not so secret, affair was particularly distasteful to me (I do like that they thought that no one knew :lol:). I like the post-Frank Margaret so much more though. Actually I like the seasons after him better than the ones with him in them. :roll: Granted there where a lot of Charles' traits that I didn't like and over-all he wasn't very likable but at least I could stand him. I think that him for Frank was a very good trade. He had a lot of good moments as well.
I especially hated his poor treatment of the enemy. Putting lightly wounded American soldiers before North Koreans who needed surgery right away. He always called them "yellow hordes" which also bothered me.
townsbg
Sergeant

Post by townsbg »

Jeeter wrote:I especially hated his poor treatment of the enemy. Putting lightly wounded American soldiers before North Koreans who needed surgery right away. He always called them "yellow hordes" which also bothered me.
Yet when Pierce treats a North Korean before an American he's investigated for being either a commie or a sympathizer something that Charles even admitted as being absurd.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

townsbg wrote: Yet when Pierce treats a North Korean before an American he's investigated for being either a commie or a sympathizer something that Charles even admitted as being absurd.
I'm almost certain that other patient who chastized Hawkeye for taking the North Korean ahead of his buddy called for an investigation... otherwise, I don't think him randomly doing so would've called for one, let alone Flagg just showing up and investigating.
Mash4Ever
Sergeant

Post by Mash4Ever »

I Like Trapper Better Because He Was A Better Friend To Hawkeye!

I Like Charles Better Because He Was Nicer Then Frank!

I Like Henry Better Because He Was A Like A Friend To Everyone!
From A Big Alan Alda Wayne Rogers Mash Fan Kirsten

RIP Harry Morgan 1915-2011

Ozzy Baxter
Private

Post by Ozzy Baxter »

I am in the minority here when I say I prefer Trapper John McIntyre and Col. Henry Blake over BJ and Potter. Just my personal enjoyment level, but I always preferred MASH when it was primarily about chasing nurses, getting drunk, and tormenting Frank. When they were fighting against the system, versus morality plays. That's not to say I don't respect the latter years. There's a reason it's one of the cornerstones of televisual history. But, for re-watching enjoyment, I'll take a fun 'how will Hawkeye & Trapper get this one over on Frank' episode from the first three years. ;) :hawkeye: :trapper: :henry: :frank: :charles:

P.S. I must admit, I love Frank and Charles equally. No one plays a funnier foil than Frank. And no one has a rapier wit and pompous charm like Charles.
Ranger
Corporal

Post by Ranger »

Trapper or BJ

I think BJ was a better developed character and one who the viewer could probably relate to more and he had more interesting storlines, but I find Trapper more charismatic and, as someone else said, fun. Mike and Wayne both had great chemistry with Alan though. I think on the whole I prefer Trapper, but only just.

Potter and Blake
Again, Potter was a more interesting character and I think Harry Morgan has a wider range as an actor but I find Henry funnier and I love McClean's chemistry with Gary, they're such a good double act. It's tough to call which I prefer, I guess it depends on what kind of episode I want to watch.

Frank and Charles
While I liked BJ and Potter straight away, it took me a long time to warm to Charles, he just seemed so borish and snobbish and I found his big booming voice offputting. I was convinced he was going to turn out to be a phony. However, as the character developed and as I also matured I found him to be one of the more interesting characters, those moments were he shows his humane side are some of the most touching in the series and he also showed he had a sense of humour too. There's also a tragic demeanour to him too as he's sort of trapped by his background.
Frank was a different matter. He was hilarious in his early seasons and larry played him to perfection, but the joke got a bit tired and he was superfluous in the later seasons. I guess I prefer late Charles to late Frank, but early Frank to early Charles.
townsbg
Sergeant

Post by townsbg »

Well put.
flash
Private

Post by flash »

I like BJ more him and hawkeye make a great team. As far as Frank and Charles i pick Frank hands down . I have to pick Henry Blake also he is the best .