Hawkeye

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Keith1980
Private

Hawkeye

Post by Keith1980 »

In season 5, if i recall correctly, was an episode called “Hawkeye”. Does anyone have any information on why this episode was filmed?

This episode has no main cast only a mention of radar. Hawkeye is stuck with a Korean family and its just him talking the whole show.

Was their backstage politics going on and they needed to make an episode? Ive always found this episode to be the oddest of all.

This episode alone makes Alan Alda the only cast member to be in every show from season 1 to 11.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: Hawkeye

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

It was actually towards the end of Season 4.

But no, the reason why this episode was made was because Larry Gelbart wanted to experiment to see if just one character could carry the whole show themselves . . . but unfortunately, Hawkeye was kind of a poor choice, given that he was already the unofficial star of the show anyway - it probably would have been better to give this distinction to one of the new kids on the block, like B.J. or Potter, allowing us to get to know them better.
Keith1980
Private

Post by Keith1980 »

Thank you for this information.

Where did u get this information from? Its cool to find out the reason behind this episode cos i had always assumed it was possibly a writers strike or something actors strike and they had to make an episode. Never herd anything about it. Its probably my least favorite episode. Even worst then they korea has gold episode lol
Sschind
Private

Post by Sschind »

One of my least favorite episodes as well.
Captain Tuttle
Corporal

Post by Captain Tuttle »

This episode is probably my least favorite. I love Alan Alda and the Hawkeye character but Hawkeye talking non stop for the whole episode was a bit much. He just rambled on about nothing.