When did MASH first show in the UK and on which channel?

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
JaneS
Private

When did MASH first show in the UK and on which channel?

Post by JaneS »

Does anyone know when MASH first aired in the UK and on which channel was it? I am guessing it was the BBC? Thanks
RJ
General of the Army

Re: When did MASH first show in the UK and on which channel?

Post by RJ »

I believe it was first aired on BBC2. I'm not sure when, though. Perhaps someone from the U.K. can chime in?
Ranger
Corporal

Post by Ranger »

I only remember the repeats from the mid 80s onwards. They were shown on BBC2 Wednesday nights and were nearly always the top rated show for that channel. I did check the BFI but they only seem to have info for the repeats.
Someone on this forum might be able to help. They mostly discuss British TV but they're pretty knowledgeable.

http://www.mausoleumclubforum.org.uk/ph ... um.php?f=5
Ranger
Corporal

Post by Ranger »

I'm in a better position to answer this now. Radio Times have just put their old listings on-line and searching for M*A*S*H, the earlist showing of the TV show was from 20th May 1973

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/20/20 ... &order=asc
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

Ranger, that's a great find. So it started airing in the UK almost a year after it premiered in the States. I wonder if that was a standard gap for the early 1970s or if perhaps it was delayed due to the laugh track being removed for UK airings.