Charles' Friendships

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
edmund0901
Private

Charles' Friendships

Post by edmund0901 »

I noticed that in a couple of episodes Charles struck up friendships which could potentially have led to something romantic.
Temporary Duty (06x21) 141 with Lorraine, the temporary nurse and That's Show Biz, (10x01) 215 with Ellie the accordian player.
it's like the writers may have been testing the chemistry between he and the guest for a pairing. Any thoughts?
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: Charles' Friendships

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I honestly can't see any relationship lasting long between a self-respecting member of the female sex, and an aristocratic snob who still lives with his parents like Charles.

Don't forget Soony from "Ain't Love Grand" (7x25): Charles practically tried to force her to adjust to him and his interests that she was miserable and didn't like him.
kkt
Sergeant

Post by kkt »

Charles will marry someday, but it won't be someone he met at MASH. It'll be some Boston society young woman who will be a Suitable mom to the future Charles Emerson Winchester IV.

As far as temporary attachments, don't forget the French nurse. They got along great until he realized how bohemian she was.
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

Charles did indeed a bit of a "hard to get to know" exterior,but there were several moments when we get to see his emotionally intellectual side.Best example,"The Life You Save" when he narrowly escapes being felled by a sniper's bullet and takes stock of the menaing of existence and its rather fleeting nature.There's also the one when he helps console Hawkeye when he learns of his father's hospitilization back in Maine.I strongly agree that a man such as Winchester probably would wind up marrying someone out of the blue pages of Back Bay,Boston.For those of you Englishmen who may be unaware,Back Bay is a really exclusive part of the city and you may have heard him make refernce to it once or twice on the show.....
kkt
Sergeant

Post by kkt »

Actually, Charles is from Beacon Hill, the bluest of Boston's blue blood neighborhoods. In think that's mentioned in "They call the wind Korea." Back Bay was water until the late 19th century, when it was filled in for housing. Nowadays it's a pretty nice neighborhood, but to the Boston Brahmins in 1950 it was still the new upper middle class, not the cream. When the English butler (who was allowing Charles to believe he was an aristocrat) called Charles a "Back Bay philistine," he was being insulting.

My favorite Charles moment is giving candy, anonymously, to the orphans at Christmas.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

I really liked seeing Charles when he was getting along with the other ppl in camp. One of my favorite scenes with him is when Co. Potter burns up his mortgage papers for his house and Charles is of course drunk but he is happy and actually shows it. I think some of his best scenes are when he is being happy, except for a few when he is just transferred to the 4077th permanently, there are a few good ones there too. Another one I can think of is when Hawk goes up to the peace talks and comes back to a camp of everything red, Charles is once again drunk but still is nice to Hawk. I guess I just like when hes being nice and happy because it doesn't happen much.
Best Care Anywhere
kkt
Sergeant

Post by kkt »

I watched "Mr. and Mrs. Who?" today. Charles had some great soft moments there too.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

kkt wrote:I watched "Mr. and Mrs. Who?" today. Charles had some great soft moments there too.

yeah like "WHAT IS YOUR NAME??"
Best Care Anywhere