Favorite Versions of the Theme

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Favorite Versions of the Theme

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

This applies to both the opening the closing theme for the show.

Believe it or not, my favorite version of the opening theme is Season Nine... I don't know why, but there's really something about it compared to other versions, it kind of stands out, it has a unique arrangement that I really like. Least favorite is hard to determine, but I think it would be a toss up either between Season Five (don't really care for the extra precussion) or Season Seven and Eight (which is rather off-key, and just has a really "doomed" sound to it, like you know it's the beginning of the end).

Favorite version of the closing theme is tougher... I like the one used for the first two seasons, but I also like Season Ten's (which was also used for a "warp speed" version of the main titles in one episode, I believe). Season Nine is interesting, but sounds to 80s-esque and sythesized, which doesn't work for this show. Least favorite most likely Season Six, because of it's slow and low-key arrangement.
RJ
General of the Army

Re: Favorite Versions of the Theme

Post by RJ »

I've never really given it much thought, truth be told. I really like the somber version of the theme played during Henry's memorial at the end of "Abyssinia, Henry" but that isn't quite what you're asking.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I like that little rendition too, "Memories of Henry" I believe it was called?
BJ Emerson Flagg
Private

Post by BJ Emerson Flagg »

Sad and poignant moment.Unfortunately,McLean Stevenson never did repeat the comic glories of his "MASH" days.That is,of course,unless you consider his appearances on the American game show "Hollywood Squares" comic glory.Back on the topic of the MASH theme,I'm a purist in these manners,so naturally I prefer the movie version,complete with lyrics as haunting as the melody.
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

Big Daddy O'Reilly wrote:I like that little rendition too, "Memories of Henry" I believe it was called?
It is indeed called "Memories of Henry."