Building a swamp in my house

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Grove17
Sergeant

Building a swamp in my house

Post by Grove17 »

There it is. I have decided to build a swamp in my basement and wanted some input. What are the must haves? I'm planning on the army cots, the heater in the middle, some footlockers, etc. I def need some input on what I should build/buy that would make my Swamp more realistic and fun to hang out in to play cards etc. Any help is appreciated! And of course as this project gets off the ground I will post pics but right now I'm just trying to gather items.
Best Care Anywhere
chippertheripper
Private

Re: Building a swamp in my house

Post by chippertheripper »

Please post photos!I'd love to follow the progress!
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

You need a Double Cranko board.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

So far I just have the walls up and I have a pole in the middle holding a helmet for shaving. I have on order a footlocker, and 2 army cots. I also just got today a blue robe like hawkeyes red one, I think BJ wore a blue one sometimes, but the one I got is from the Korean War with the US symbol and the caduceus in the middle. It's so hard to figure out the actual personal things that were in the swamp because a lot of it is personal things not army issue. Also have some coffee mugs that look like the ones they used which are also Korean War medical issue with all US medical logo on it. I want to try to find the style lamps they have over the cots.

For Hawks special chair that I think was from a plane of some sort I'm using an old car seat I have from my younger years of tooling around with cars. I figure on building a wooden base for it and bolting it to that.

If anyone has any info on the items in the swamp PLEASE let me know I need all the help I can get.
Best Care Anywhere
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Maybe if anyone has some close up pics in the swamp I can't find anything online that's that great.
Best Care Anywhere
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

Grove17, I swear one of the M*A*S*H documentaries has a very nice pan of the empty Swamp but for the life of me I cannot remember which one it is. I thought it was "Memories of M*A*S*H" but I just took a quick look and could not find it. Maybe somebody else remembers what I am talking about.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Thanks I'll keep a look out for that. The hardest part is figuring out the small items in the crates they have.
Best Care Anywhere
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

Don't forget BJ's rubber chicken and Hawkeye's plunger with string and ball attached. Cocktail glasses and swizzle sticks. Perhaps Charles' record player, too. There was a mirror nailed to the tent pole they used for shaving.

By the way, what the heck does your wife say about this swamp project?
Miss Ginger
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Obie wrote:Don't forget BJ's rubber chicken and Hawkeye's plunger with string and ball attached. Cocktail glasses and swizzle sticks. Perhaps Charles' record player, too. There was a mirror nailed to the tent pole they used for shaving.

By the way, what the heck does your wife say about this swamp project?

My wife loves it....she even wants to spend the night there when i get it more finished
Best Care Anywhere
Aralvar
Private

Post by Aralvar »

Either I missed something or nobody has mentioned this yet: the still! That's one of the most important parts! I also remember BJ having a photo of his wife and kid next to his cot. And don't forget about Charles's tape recorder, record player, and red pillow. I also seem to remember they had a metal coffee pot in there (from the episode where they basically destroyed everything in the swamp to relieve stress). Also, there's a dartboard on the door, and the word "SWAMP" painted on the outside of the door. Also, every cot has a lamp above it. They don't necessarily have to functional, if that's too hard to install.
Grove17
Sergeant

Post by Grove17 »

Here is a list of what i have so far:

2 Army cots
3 Foot lockers
Coffee pot
2 White coffee mugs
Blue army robe with US and the medical symbol on it
2 US army wool blankets
Wood stove with smoke stack
Army helmet...for shaving of course
Dartboard
Crates for shelves
Large old style Igloo water jug
Medic bag

All items are from Korean war or period correct...as close as i could get.

What I really want:

Hawks radio he sometimes takes on his dates....but I cant figure out what brand it is. I thought it was a Zenith Trans Oceanic but doesn't seem to be quite right.
Some of the little things on the shelves, I know hawk has some kind of bug spray thing with a medical symbol on the side.

What is the red thing hanging from the center post they put gin in sometimes.....i think its like a ice pack type thing but maybe someone from an older generation would know what that is.

As for the still....for now it seems like a big job to find the correct parts for that so Im thinking on waiting on that for now.
Best Care Anywhere