Another New Fanfic... with an OC

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Another New Fanfic... with an OC

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I've been working on a new fanfic as of late, and have also been committing the ultimate sacrelige, because not only am I introducing a new OC (in fandom terms, an OC is an original character a fan develops to join in the ranks of already existing characters within the canon), but the OC is actually a real replacement for Radar, so this would be an AU (alternate universe).

While the story hasn't been completed yet, I can go ahead and give you a rundown on my new OC, and who he is:

Name: Shadrach, Jason
Home Town: Knoxville, Tennessee
Serial Number: US84754918
Military Record: arrived in Korea with his squad after Basic.
Data:
  • Was assistant switchboard operator to Sparky
  • Was a disc jockey in Knoxville
  • Drafted
  • Very bad aim with a rifle
Miscellaneous: Usually wears a highneck sweater
Vices: None that anybody knows of

Shadrach also has a tendency to be a slacker and a goldbrick, but is also rather sneaky, and good at scrounging and dealing.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Re: Another New Fanfic... with an OC

Okay, my new fanfic is finally finished.

There's just one really big problem: in order to really introduce Shadrach, I pretty much had to basically rewrite "Period of Adjustment" (8x06) to do so, so needless to say, it's really not that great... but at any rate, here it is:

"Period of Adjustment"
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

Writing is a bit of an old hobby for me. I've thought of writing whole new episodes for MASH, but have not had the time to do it. I like what you've done here. Why Knoxville?
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Because I'd like to see my own hometown get some love in the M*A*S*H universe.

Also, I kind of imagine that of the already-existing characters, Klinger would probably be among one that Shadrach would grow closest to (probably him and Potter since Potter has to take him under his wing), and that would give them something in common to relate to, because I find Knoxville to be a lot like the colorful tales Klinger shares about Toledo: we have home invasions, school shootings, mall shootings, even church and hospital shootings; my middle school was in the ghetto, so I saw quite a bit of gang violence, and just earlier this year somebody stole my license plate. When I was twelve, my mother and I were held up outside a hotel one night.

I really want to try and write something else with Shadrach to show him as one of the team... again, I feel he'll probably grow closest to Potter and Klinger... he'll probably like to try to hang out with Hawkeye and B.J. as well, but their wit is a little too quick for him, and considering he's also in his mid-20s and a newbie, he's also kind of regarded as the "baby" in camp.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

I've decided to start work on another new fanfic, this time, showing more of Shadrach as one of the gang, and really kind of see his relationship and interaction with the others in camp, I'm just not entirely sure how it's going to play out just yet though, but I'll tinker at it a little bit and see what happens... of course, I'll let you guys know when it's finished.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

I've finally finished a new fanfic with my OC Shadrach!

Well, actually, it's been finished for a little while now, but I ended up getting really carried away with this one, and ended up having to cut and edit a lot of it, because it was waaaaay too long! ><

At any rate, here's my latest fanfic:
The Harder They Fall

Now then, I would like to point out that this story is actually a thinly veiled, yet highly exaggerated/fictionalized account of something that really happened to me (hence why I ended up getting carried away), so if you have any questions of what's fact and what's fiction, don't hesitate to ask.

And the reason why I'm publishing it today is because this date (December 18) used to be special to me.