1990s M*A*S*H TV Commercial

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Eric
Private

1990s M*A*S*H TV Commercial

Post by Eric »

When I was a kid there was a commercial advertising M*A*S*H. The commercial features a man (it is either Kenny G, or supposed to be) playing the M*A*S*H theme song on a saxophone in front of a TV store. The TVs in the window are playing scenes from M*A*S*H. Does anyone remember this commercial? Was it Kenny G? Does anyone have access to it? I have always though the M*A*S*H theme sounds great on a sax!
Eric
RJ
General of the Army

Re: 1990s M*A*S*H TV Commercial

Post by RJ »

Eric, I know which commercial you are referring to. I do not know if it was Kenny G. If you have the Martinis & Medicine DVD set, you can see part of the commercial near the end of the “M*A*S*H” – Biography documentary ("M*A*S*H: Television's Serious Sitcom") on the first disc of special features. It is at about the 40:50 mark. Unfortunately, the narrator talks over the commercial so you cannot really hear the theme being played on the sax.
Eric
Private

Post by Eric »

Thanks RJ. I will check out the documentary. I would love to get the theme song on the sax. It sounds incredible!
Eric
Upstater
Private

Post by Upstater »

I was involved in making that spot. We did it around 1989-90. It is not Kenny G. Yes, we had an instrumental version created specifically. It was shot on the Universal backlot and used to promote M*A*S*H in syndication.
Eric
Private

Post by Eric »

Upstater wrote:I was involved in making that spot. We did it around 1989-90. It is not Kenny G. Yes, we had an instrumental version created specifically. It was shot on the Universal backlot and used to promote M*A*S*H in syndication.
Thanks for the insight. It is one of my favorite M*A*S*H commercials. "Suicide is Painless" sounds great on the Sax!
Eric