New Game: The Face is Familiar

Talk about all things M*A*S*H -- the novel, the film, the television series, even the play. Not to mention the spin-offs, merchandise, cast, crew and anything else you can think of to talk about.
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

New Game: The Face is Familiar

Post by Big Daddy O'Reilly »

I tried this out on BCA last year, and it seemed to do relatively well, so I thought I'd give it a shot here.

Basically, before we got to know them as various different characters on M*A*S*H, a number of the actors had previously appeared on the rivaling Hogan's Heroes... basically, the object of the game is to see if you can recognize the face from these screenshots from random Hogan episodes... and no fair cheating by going over to BCA for the answers.

To start off, here's what may be a relatively easy one:

Obie
Corporal

Re: New Game: The Face is Familiar

Post by Obie »

Richard Dawson; now email me my prize!

Miss Ginger
Miss Ginger
Chuck
Sergeant

Post by Chuck »

The guy to the far left looks like Goldman (a regular uncredited character) from MASH.
Zelmo Zale
Private

Post by Zelmo Zale »

Don't go to BCA for anything. Time to boycott until The Fool on the Hill is gone.

Yeah, that's Goldman. Ever see Goldman in the "Checkup" episode when the enlisted are getting physicals? That dude is buff. He could bench press both Trapper and Hawkeye and break Frank in two.
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

I was like Chuck on thinking that the actor looked like Goldman, but not sure. So it is him, interesting. And, by the way, where is my prize?!
Always been a fan of Richard Dawson; good actor and very nice gentleman.

Over on BCA folks are leaving nice messages about Karras passing away. So far, "the fool" hasn't butted in but the night is young. Karras was one of my favorite guests on M*A*S*H. Loved watching him play for the Lions. The man was a real tank. Sad loss.

Miss Ginger
Miss Ginger
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

Lol, I'm sorry Miss Ginger, but Zelmo got who I was talking about; yes, that is Richard Dawson, but the object of the game is to guess the M*A*S*H actor in the shots, and yes, that fellow on the far left is indeed Roy Goldman: before serving eleven years as a walkaround corpsman on M*A*S*H, he spent six years as a walkaround POW on Hogan's Heroes. And notice the African-American POW between him and Richard? If you look closely, you can also spot him as an extra in a handful of the really early episodes of M*A*S*H, usually wearing a jeep (Radar) cap; he sat next to Radar at the boxing match between Trapper and Killer Flacker, and he also attended Hawkeye's inauguration of Chief Surgeon.

And now, on to round two, this one might be a little tricky:
Zelmo Zale
Private

Post by Zelmo Zale »

The man in the white scarf has to be John Orchard who played Ugly John in the first season of MASH. He also played the MP Muldoon in a season 8 episode which I cannot remember off the top of my head...A Night at Rosie's?
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

You got it Zelmo, the English Gent is, indeed, a mustache-less John Orchard, who, I believe, made about three or so guest appearances on Hogan; in this particular episode, he plays a British Commando who was shot down, and is waiting for Hogan and his men to smuggle him out of Stalag 13.

Okay, and now for Round Three, and this one should be relatively easy:
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

Back off Zelmo, dear. I've got this one. William Christopher, right!?

NOW, send me my prize.
Miss Ginger
RJ
General of the Army

Post by RJ »

No, no, it has to be the picture nailed to the wall in the upper right. That's Tuttle, right?
Zelmo Zale
Private

Post by Zelmo Zale »

I think the guy in the red sweater is Jason Shadrach.
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

O.K. you smartie pants boys!!! Do not mock the nice, old lady. Y'all are just trying to gip me out of my prize!

Miss Ginger
Miss Ginger
Big Daddy O'Reilly
Colonel

HAW-HAW HUH-HUH-HUH you guys! But no, Miss Ginger was the first one to get it right this time, that is indeed our beloved Father Mulcahy we see here: before becoming everybody's favorite priest, Bill Christopher would occasionally fill in as a character replacement on Hogan whenever Larry Hovis was absent... I'm guessing Hogan HAD to have four men working under him at all times, because any time an actor was absent for an episode, they always brought in a guest to fill in the gap, and again, whenever Larry Hovis was absent, Bill would usually fill in. So congrats Miss Ginger,as per your prize, you get the bragging rights! :D

Okay, let's see how well you guys do during Round Four, this one might be a little trickier:
Obie
Corporal

Post by Obie »

I know. I know. It's the chopper pilot with diabetes. The one Potter grounded.

I got, I got.
Miss Ginger
horsepill
Private

Post by horsepill »

Yeah, that's it, his name is Robert Hogan.

I gotta admit when I first glanced at the picture, I thought, Ben Affleck? 8-)