(08x22) 195 - Dreams

Talk about individual episodes here. Every episode has its own discussion thread and there are also threads for each season.

Rate This Episode

Best of the best
100%
Above average
No votes
Average
No votes
Below average
No votes
Worst of the worst
No votes

Total votes: 1

RJ
General of the Army

(08x22) 195 - Dreams

Post by RJ »

Use this thread to discuss 08x22: Dreams.
Ferret Face
First Lieutenant

Re: (08x22) 195 - Dreams

Post by Ferret Face »

I know that a fair number of people don't really enjoy watching this one, largely because of how surreal and haunting a lot of the dreams are (i.e. Margaret with blood on her wedding dress), and I can understand that, especially for people who prefer the more comedic side of the show. But I absolutely love it. For one thing, the cinematography for the dream sequences are generally very strong, and do a great job of portraying the surreal aspect of the dreams. And on top of that, while some may argue that getting multiple dreams about the war haunting the characters may be a bit redundant, I honestly feel like each one does a great job of capturing the different psychological core of the characters in different ways, to make each one stand out. I'd say my favorite dreams were Margaret's and Charles', since those really captured Margaret's sadness over the love she had lost, and the fear that she might end up alone, and Charles' fear that he's all flash and no substance, and may lose patients because of it. I also really like how different Potter's dream was from everyone else's, focusing on more of the nostalgic aspects of his life, like actually fighting in a war, and his childhood, which really fits for his character as well IMO. Though that also brings up the question of why he's so reluctant to go to sleep when Charles mentions dreaming (unless if not all of his dreams are so nostalgic).